please help with STEERING FAILURE ('91 240sx) - dangerous!

Hi there... If you have a good working knowledge of the pinion gear and steering rack assy. on these S13 vehicles, please drop me a note via email. When turning either L/R, the steering binds very heavily making it dangerous to drive. I will have to pull quite hard with lots of grinding to recover the wheel after a turn.

I suspect either a broken/failing universal joint or a damaged gear assy. in the rack and pinion steering. I am going to lift the car and check to see that the cv boots aren't cracked but I think this will likely require a full R&R of the rack itself.

After just purchasing a home and fixing the A/C and braking system in this car, I didn't want to dump much more $$$ into her. Is a R&R of the rack something I could do in the garage with basic tools and axle stands? What might I expect to pay for a new/reman. rack? I assume the main thing would be shop labour to install the unit?? Does anyone know what sort of billable time we'd be averaging in a shop for this?

If there's anyone who's had a similar problem and figured out a better solution, please contact me via email. Also, as mentioned above, if you have worked on these systems before and could lend a hand with your knowledge, please contact me also.

Thanks a million to all of you,

Andrew aka neex.

remove the spam.....

neex(no spam)@redbull.nu

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

never mind guys.... it was a jammed rack and I fixed it in 5min... a piece of the exhaust heat shield was lodged up there and causing binding...

an odd one for sure...

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian