Poll - Should main bearing bolts be dry or lubed?

Okay, so far one says they should be dry.

Opinions?

When I got the block back from the machine shop, the main bolts were quite oily. If they're NOT supposed to be oiled and already are, what measures should I take to de-oil the bolts and the threads in the block?

Thanks

Reply to
HiC

Repeating, meant to include alt.autos.toyota.

-------------------------------

7MGE 6

Okay, so far one says they should be dry.

Opinions?

When I got the block back from the machine shop, the main bolts were quite oily. If they're NOT supposed to be oiled and already are, what measures should I take to de-oil the bolts and the threads in the block?

Thanks

Reply to
HiC

GET THE BOOK FOR THE ENGINE! It will give the the EXACT answers to this and ALL the upcoming questions your going to have. You have a LOT farther to go and a LOT more items that you will be adjusting.

Reply to
Steve W.

The spray brake cleaner works well to degrease parts before assembly. A paint or parts brush and acetone also work, even dish soap and water. I am sure there are far more options also.

I have assembled a few engines and all were dry torque with a few particular bolts specially noted for a wet torque. The book must say.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Dude, you should really get the book for the engine instead of polling strangers on the internet in seven different groups.

Reply to
qslim

======== ========

I would soak em all in red loctite........... . unless the book says use another proceedure that is. .

~:~ MarshMonster ~get's out his crownroyal.....gets out his cranberry juice....... get's out his official barkeep mixer upper recipe manual...... by the book......always by the book.......don't want no nasty stuff get'n mixed up and wasten good liquor........ mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

And what purpose would you propose automotive newgroups should serve if not ask questions about cars?

I have the factory manual for the engine. It's possible someone might have insight about something that isn't covered therein - errors, omissions etc. Clearly you're not among them.

Btw, did I mention it's a pet peeve of mine re: how the current youth generation prefaces even written sentences with "dude"? It's not just the practice I find irritating but also the lemming minds that fall into such trends, like all these chicks who started carrying a little shiteater dog because Paris Hilton did.

Btw, regarding how many newgroups, no surprise that someone who prefaces a sentence with "Dude" can't count to two.

Reply to
HiC

========== ==========

Hey Dude.............

did i mention a pet peeve of mine re: how the old fart generation prefaces their cutdowns of todays young women with "Chick" ??

anywhooo..........

nice flame

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his shroom juice........wonders if todays youth care one shit what you think~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The factory manual will specify, but IIRC, main bearing bolts usually call for a light coat of oil.

Reply to
Ray O

The factory manual I have doesn't specify on the main bolts. On the head bolts it does state a light coat of oil.

I even looked in the front section where it talks about various details and when it comes to bolts it talks about using thread lock on bolts that had it from the factory, but no elaboration regarding lubrication.

Reply to
HiC

Then they get installed clean and dry. Standard procedure for any bolt is that they get installed clean and dry. If there is something different about them then that will get called out in the manual. If a bolt is a single use item they will have that in the book. It will have a small footnote telling you that the item is a torque to yield item. Or if the factory new bolts come with a sealer or loctite on them it will say to "use new bolts" However if it just says install the bolt and torque to XXX then it is clean and dry.

Reply to
Steve W.

But taking a "poll" won't reflect the reality about a particular engine, will it?

I agree. But another of my pet peeves with today's culture is that people behave as if poll results are somehow correlated with reality ;-p

Reply to
Steve

====== ====== (after debate'n poll'n fer opinions in NG's).... HiC wrote: . Btw, did I mention it's a pet peeve of mine re: how the current youth generation prefaces even written sentences with "dude"? ===== ===== On Jul 30, 12:02 pm, Steve wrote: . I agree. But another of my pet peeves with today's culture is that people behave as if poll results are somehow correlated with reality . .

;-p

======= =======

oooooooch

deep cut......

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke...hands the hick his superglue...poor a little of dat on'r....she'll seal rite up~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Only if any of those who offer input know what they're talking about. The idea is to get more than one person's input on an issue and reasons for input. Some might be full of it, some might have more experience and better rationale behind their position. Like if one guy says he knows the Earth is flat and you'll fall off the edge because grandpa told him so, and 5 other guys tell similar tales of their having sailed around the world.

Would it make you feel better if it was framed as "asking a question"?

Reply to
HiC

If there is no specification, then they are installed dry.

Reply to
Ray O

FWIW, I talked to several Toyota shops today including a dealership service dept., they all recommended a light coat of oil on all bolts.

Reply to
HiC

You should of done that to start with...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

In all the engine work I've done I've oiled all bolts. Everything from chainsaws up to 16 liter diesels. The only exception is when the manual explicitly states dry or loctite. If you want to remove oil from bolts, get a can of brake and parts cleaner. Bolts installed dry are lots of fun to remove later.

Reply to
B.B.