Pontiac 301 Front Cover

I've got a '79 Firebird that I'm working on with a Pontiac 301. I was changing the water pump and one of the long bolts that pass through the front timing cover and alternator/power steering pump bracket snapped just below the surface of the timing cover. I've tried extractors and heat, with no luck. I started to remove the cover but the bolt seems to have corroded inside the cover and will not let the cover come loose. The other side has been freed from the block.

My idea was to cut open the cover to free it. I've pried on the cover along with heating the bolt and it just bends the bolt. I'm a little worried that the bolt will break in another place or I'll mar the block.

I know broken bolts inside of an aluminum front cover is common, I've seen it before on Ford 302s. Would a machine shop be able to weld the cover to repair my cuts? I'm planning on cutting lengthwise to expose the body of the bolt.

I know another option would be to find one in the junkyard, but there aren't many 301s around here in the yards.

Reply to
Brent McNabb

Dave J and Lynne J Shepherd