Pop it in D1 on an automatic while driving?

How bad and detrimental is it on your vehicle to do this?

I had a '91 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with a Quad 4 2.3L DOHC engine, and my friend used to make me slam it in 1st on the hwy at 45 mph 'just' to challenge other people, and I would get sudden speedups to

60+ in 1st gear with the selector in 1. He made me do this like few other times. Another time, we had done a similar thing in my mom's '97 Nissan Altima. We were going 50 MPH on a road. Popped it in 1st gear setting and sped up to 100 MPH at 7k rpm. No problems with either transmission as far as we could tell. The nissan is still running w/ 240k miles on it 6 years after that incident.
Reply to
Robby2687

...and we've both matured (aged, in my case) 6 years in the meantime? s

Reply to
sdlomi2

My buddie had a high performance mustang and did the same thing. The tranny lasted about 3 months and the engine lasted about 6. Which of course he did this a lot. Any time you redline an engine you run the risk of things coming apart.

Reply to
cosmo

Did that mustang have a rev-limiter?

Newer engines today have one to prevent damage to either.

Newer transmissions will, I think, upshift gears regardless of the gear selector setting if RPM's or speed gets too high. And they 'supposedly' won't downshift below a certain gear unless the speed gets low enough.

That Nissan went 100 MPH in 1st gear at 7000+ RPM when it was popped in D1 that day.

Reply to
Robby2687

No issues there, that is what the shifter is for. We off road and mud bog our Jeeps and folks even put kits in so the sucker will go to 1st and stay there because Jeeps only have a D2. If it shifts during a sand pit wall climb, you are done.

You just cleaned the carbon out really well. I'll bet there was a pile of black crap coming out the rear end.

Mike

Mike Romain

This guy is obviously a troll looking for comments....No way are you gonna get a 97 Nissan Altima to 100 mph....let alone in first gear. I think this whole thread is bogus.

Reply to
komobu

Maybe it was possibly in 2nd gear instead. Newer transmissions I heard won't downshift to 1st gear even with the selector in "1" when at a high enough speed. So, my guess after all is it probably didn't go below 2nd gear even when it was in "1".

Reply to
Robby2687