Positive Battery post pryed up.

While replacing battery cable hardware, I accidentally pryed up the postive battery post a little bit. It looks crimped into the battery case and now I can see the crimps. I pushed it back down and after replacing the hardware I installed the cables again and dressed the posts. It seems okay but I was wondering if there were any bad experiences out there or if this will be okay. It's a shame since the battery is still good.

Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Parker

It's still good??? Not anymore, most likely you broke it (internally). -PapaRick

Peter Parker wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Still good. Battery is working and charging. Who knows. I didn't lift it out of the case just moved it out a little. I pushed it back and we shall see.

Reply to
Peter Parker

You got a chance of that post leaking acid buddy. When I do that on the old Dodge I put some Permatex around the crack to seal it. Then I look for somebody that bought a new battery.

Reply to
Al Bundy

There's a very good chance that the internal electrical connection is weakened now. Best case, the battery suddenly goes dead one day. Worst case, an internal arc and the battery goes "boom." :-(

Peter Parker wrote:

Reply to
Steve

OK, I (and I'm sure others) would be interested to know if you can disconnect(not remove) the positive battery cable and NOT destroy any hardware within the electrical system.

Rick snipped-for-privacy@Ameritech.net '90 Olds Cutlass Supreme International (w/3.1L) '93 Bronco 351EFI E4OD/BW1356 D44-Ford8.8/open 2"-lift 35"-tires

Reply to
Rick Colombo

(internally).=20

Sure.

Just remove the negative cable first.

Reply to
saeengineer

You know, I am surprised not one response called attention to the fact there is a tool for lifting cables off the battery terminals... purchase and use this tool to aviod such worries in the future. Incidentally, I am in the camp that is nervous about battery explosions...

Walt K.

Reply to
Walter Koziarz

They 'sure' won't on a Jeep Cherokee!

Our old tenant found that out. An expensive but really crappy local stereo shop installed a fancy stereo in his Jeep and forgot to tighten the positive cable. It fell off while he was off roading and the computer, ignition module and alternator all fried.

Mike

Mike Romain