Power lift for my 1978 Dodge van

I was thinking about welding a steel plate to a piece of pipe and bolting the plate to one of the van's rear bumper brackets behind the rear bumper.A pipe with a hook welded to one end of the pipe, pipe tall enough to clear the rear doors, pipe would slip into the pipe which would be welded to the steel plate.And using a come along or one of my boat trailer winches for lifting heavy loads into and out of my van.Any ideas? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Why not start the whole thing off with a trailer hitch? then use the receiver as your starting point so you can "unhook" the whole mess when you don't want to use it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You will rip the bumper off the frame horn with a set up like that.

The neatest unit I have seen for use in a van was one that a Roberts driver had. He had built a 6 legged frame inside with a retractable rail on top he got the idea from the older manual cemetery vault trucks. His was set up just like a miniature overhead crane. He even had a fork set-up so he could lift palletized items in easily. I just cheated and picked up a hydraulic tailgate lift.

Reply to
Steve W.

My van does have a trailer hitch on it, I have bumped my knees on it plenty enough times.Maybe I can fix up something and use that. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

And buy the whole thing complete at Harbor Freight for ~$225 ready to go. Not worth the effort to build when it's that cheap.

Pete C.