Power seat problem

The driver's side power seat on my 1995 Ford Crown Vic won't go forward. It will go backward, but not forward. There is no obstruction under the seat. Is this just a motor problem?

Reply to
lou

Okay, you know this is a DC motor, and you get it to spin in one direction by having +/-, and spinning in the opposite direction by reversing polarity to -/+.

Whatever is reversing the polarity ( a double pole double throw switch addressing a diode bank ) is most likely responsible for this problem. My guess is you will find a defective diode on a small PCB that the seat switch attaches to.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Lawrence Glickman writes in article dated Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:09:22

-0500:

I'm with you so far. It's probably the switch.

I don't understand why you'd need a diode if you had a DPDT switch reversing the polarity for you.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

dated Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:09:22

-0500:

I don't know what is in the control unit. I am just guessing.

The electrical systems in today's automobiles are NIGHTMARES with your eyes wide open. If you can fix this problem yourself, pat yourself on the back.

Some manufacurers do crazy things with design, to save a penny here, and save a penny there. You can almost be assured they are taking the cheapest way out when it comes to specifications, even when they build for the military.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman