Power Steering Fluid Leak

I have a 1988 Mazda MX6 Turbo which runs beautifully. Just this past month, a groaning noise started as i turned the steering wheel, which lead me to check the power steering fluid level. The level was down and there was oil underneath the fluid resevoir. I took the resevoir out, checked it for wholes, cleaned it up put it back in, the problem continued. I then took the hose at the bottom of the resevoir whcih was farely brittal and replaced that, sitll no difference. I then asked a local mechanic who said it was probably a problem in the pump and that i shouldnt try and fix it myself being that i am only 16. Took it home, started work on taking the pump out. Got it out, got a new pump, replaced it, and the return hose from connected to the pump. Everything was looking good, but it still was leaking right under the front right bumper. The only thing i can think of now is changing the high pressure hoses... any suggestions?

Reply to
BWR

I think you're on the right track. The high pressure hose coming off of the pump is very likely leaking at one or both of it's crimped ends. P/S fluid can even creep up the hose and deposit itself on the resevoir/framerail area if it's leaking past the hose crimps. The hose is probably really close to the RF bumper area, right?

Of course the pump is really really close to the RF bumper area. Assuming that the new pump is not leaking, you still should make sure the two fluid pipe banjo fittings are tight but not overtorqued, anf that you used new sealing washers during the pump replacement repair.

Finally be sure that the H/P hose is routed away from any sharp objects where it is mounted on the frame rail. Take engine flex into consideration, especially if you accelerate hard like the 16YO with a Turbo FWD car that I used to be! (OK, I was 18 -- close) :)

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I'd get some engine cleaner and really clean the whole area where you think the leak is, then have someone turn the wheels back and forth all the way to put a load on the PS. You might be able to spot the leak that way.

Reply to
NickySantoro

In frustration, took of the whole front bumper to reveal a pipe leaving the resevoir to go in a loop away from the engine block, and then returns near the resevoir to continue its path. I believe this is for cooling of some kind. The pipes were rusty, and you could clearly tell that it was where the leak was from. Cut out the rusty part of the pipe and replaced it with a rubber hose, leak has stopped runs great! thanx

Reply to
BWR

That is a P/S cooler line, but it wasn't present in the diagram I was referencing. The cooler pipe design is found primarily on asian cars; it usually is plumbed into the return side hose and sits below the radiator in the path of airflow.

Glad you found the problem.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish