Power Steering Fluid vs Slick 50?

is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?

Larry Von

Reply to
Barbara Harris

It is possible to substitute liquid comet for a synthetic brand oil additive. The question would be why in the heck would someone do it? Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

power steering fluid goes in the power steering reservoir.

here we go again, transmission fluid goes in the automatic x-mission, motor oil goes in the crankcase.

slick 50 is sold as an anti-friction agent.

I have heard that atf has been added to a car's crankcase oil to de-carbon the area, dunno about it.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

To be different? :)

Reply to
mst

Only one way to find out.

Reply to
dnoyeB

It's possible to substitute it, sure. But I would not recommend either the substitution or the use of Slick 50 or any other additive. I would use fluids as follows:

  1. Engine oil in the engine.
  2. Transmission fluid in the transmission.
  3. Power steering fluid in the power steering unit.
  4. Brake fluid in the master cylinder.
  5. Coolant in the cooling system.
  6. Washer fluid in the washer fluid reservoir.
  7. Slick 50, Motor Honey, snake oil and other additives should be left on the shelf and save yourself a bunch of money.
Reply to
John S.

Barbara Harris wrote: [ snip ]

Gender identity crisis on top of sheer stupidity.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

But, reportedly that blue stuff that goes into toilets makes a really fine martini.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

here we go again, transmission fluid goes in the automatic x-mission, motor oil goes in the crankcase.

LOL - Troll -->>Plonk!!

Reply to
Backbone

NO! Best thing to do to prolong the life of your PowerSteeringPump is to add a filter to your PowerSteeringPumps return line!

Reply to
Backbone

Read the vehicle's owner's manual. It tells you to not add anything to the engine oil, usually for good reason.

Power steering fluid may be like Dexron transmission fluid (for some cars Dexron is even specified as the power steering fluid), in which case it contains a high enough concentration of detergent to damage the engine in the long run.. This is why when a pint of Dexron is added to the engine oil to clean out a stuck valve lifter, the oil and filter have to be changed in 100 miles and then again in another 100 miles.

Consumer Reports found no reduction in engine wear in NYC taxicabs running Slick 50, and, contrary to what additive sellers claim, regular high-grade motor oil (anything with an API certification of SL or SM, in the case of gasoline engines) contains all the needed additives, and at least 20% it is additives. So if your engine uses $10 worth of oil (5 quarts), that's $2 for the additives, compared to $10-20 for a bottle of Slippery-50. (actually it may be more like $1 because viscosity improvers are a different type of additive). Would you rather use an additive package that's been tested and quality certified by the API and approved by the company that designed, built, and warrants your engine, or would you rather take your chances with something uncertified and marketed with false claims?

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I would say that if you HAVE to put some kind of crap in your oil, then power steering fluid is a less damaging crap than slick 50, prolong, or duralube.

Of course putting horse crap in the oil is probably less damaging than slick 50, prolong, and duralube.... :-/

But why crap in the oil at all?

Reply to
Steve

NO, NO, NO. You'll end up with ring wear from the PS fluid's detergent washing away the varnish and then the oil from the cylinder walls.

Also stay away from Slick50, Prolong, Duralube, and anything else marketed to morons who think that major brand motor oils lack additives to protect their engines.

Reply to
beerspill

I don't mean to defend those additives, but they'll probably be less harmful because most power steering fluids will put too much detergent into the engine oil.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I've been driving long enough to remember that catchy advertising jingle "Bardahl-Did-It-Again" I never could figure out what the "it" was but with the help of my Dad quickly came to the conclusion that at best it did no harm to the motor and was little more than a way to separate me from some hard earned money.

Reply to
John S.