power steering problem

I had some powersteering problems on my 2002 Ford Escort. So I ended up chaging out the power steering pump. After bleeding it for awhile (turning wheel back and forth..raised and then sitting) It finnally started working right. However, after the vehicle sits around for a few hours, the steering goes right back to hard steering. The only thing I can think of is there is a leak somewhere sucking in air. I checked under car and no drip spots. Was wondering if this is due to a bad rack and pinion (it is somewhat old) or just maybe a pin leak somewhere else. Any help is apreciated

Ed

Reply to
Edwin

______

Enjoying that "BMW" feel of your Ford Escort? LOLOL Seriously I wouldn't mind a day in that car! I'd NEVER drift into an adjacent lane on the interstate again. :)

Yeah, could be a worn out rack, or as you said a leak somewhere in one of the lines.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Make sure the universal joints in the "lower steering shaft" are free/lose. Sometimes the will get rusty and the steering will be hard. Usually if the y are bad the hard steering will not come and go, but make sure anyway. If they are fine, replace the rack. Did you pry the inner tie rod boots off an d see if any fluid drips out? That is where they usually leak. Even if ther e isn't any fluid, it needs a rack.

Reply to
idbironhead

Well I do notice that when I turn the wheel right all the way to the stops, that it moves much easier and with some assited power. However, when turning left it gets choppy and hard to steer at all. Especially when reaching full left stop.

Ed

Reply to
Edwin

R&P internal seals are bad. You can re-seal but its better to just get an entire rebuilt unit due to possible scoring.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

____________

How quick is return-from-turns(steering wheel self centering)?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

well if you mean how fast from turning wheels from either side... to center, such as wheels turned fully to the left then going back to center, is slow and I have to use some arm muscle to get it back to center. (car is flat on ground stationary and engine running) However, turning the wheels to the right is much easier. And..easier to bring back to center.

Ed

Reply to
Edwin

Yeah Im thinking the same thing now. Might as well change it out. Thanks

Reply to
Edwin

Edwin wrote "well if you mean how fast from turning wheels from either side ... to center, such as wheels turned fully to the left then going back to c enter, is slow and I have to use some arm muscle to get it back to center. (car is flat on ground stationary and engine running) However, turning the wheels "

Ooookay. Return-from-turns is a function provided by a combination of cast er and kingpin(SAI) angle while your veh. is in motion.

In other words, try an experiment: Alone driving the car, no one behind y ou. Make a right turn onto another street, and let go of the steering whe el.

Does the steeringwheel self-center within a reasonable duration, with littl e or no assistance from you? That is "return-from-turns". It should als o be equal coming back from both sides.

Big ol' Buicks and Ford Tauri return to center slowwwly. Go-carts, BMWs, a nd Mazda Miatas center quickly, and also weigh nicely going into a turn. Lamborghinis are tight enough as to feel like they are "on rails". Most ot her vehicles are somewhere in between.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The 1975 MG Midget I drove had practically no self-centering, but the first generation Renault R5 would come back to center with considerable force.

Worst of all was a relative's 1973 Plymouth Duster - steering felt like it was not connected to anything (pretty much the same for the brakes) - what a POS design.

Reply to
T0m $herman

T0m $herman wrote "Worst of all was a relative's 1973 Plymouth Duster - steering felt like it was not connected to anything (pretty much the same for the brakes) - "

LMAO!!!!!

Sound EXACTLY like the 2013 Kia Optima I test drove last week during service to my 08 at the dealer's. Which, BTW, is conventional hydraulic and handles like a Beemer in comparion. smh...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

T0m $herman wrote "Worst of all was a relative's 1973 Plymouth Duster - steering felt like it was not connected to anything (pretty much the same for the brakes) - "

LMAO!!!!!

Sounds EXACTLY like the 2013 Kia Optima I test drove last week during service to my 08 at the dealer's. Which, BTW, is conventional hydraulic and handles like a Beemer in comparison. smh...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Drove a dodge diplomat like that once.... the steering wheel had all the feed back of a Pole Position arcade video game.

On the other hand there is the first generation mazda MX-6 with the 2.2L turbo where the torque steer would rip the steering wheel from your grasp :)

Reply to
Brent

side... to center, such as wheels turned fully to the left then going back to center, is slow and I have to use some arm muscle to get it back to cen ter. (car is flat on ground stationary and engine running) However, turning the wheels "

caster and kingpin(SAI) angle while your veh. is in motion.

ind you. Make a right turn onto another street, and let go of the steerin g wheel.

little or no assistance from you? That is "return-from-turns". It shoul d also be equal coming back from both sides.

Ws, and Mazda Miatas center quickly, and also weigh nicely going into a tur n. Lamborghinis are tight enough as to feel like they are "on rails". Mo st other vehicles are somewhere in between.

I mean, not to detract from the issues faced by our Escort owner here, but, HOW difficult is it to mfg a vehicle with reasonable steering feel/return?

Since I do understand the principles of wheel alignment, it would seem to m e that one shouldn't have to spend $50+G to get that handling, y'know?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

My Renault R11 had excellent steering feel - at least until one of the anti-roll bars mounts failed from rust and the end of the bar went through a tire sidewall.

I wish I could have a similar car, except with reasonable power and decent build quality - one could fly down dirt roads with the suspension travel and ground clearance, and handling was good despite the huge amount of body roll.

Reply to
T0m $herman