Power steering question

I have a 1994 Chevy Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine. The high pressure power steering hose sprang a leak and was shooting fluid out. I doscovered that it was a pinhole so I placed a piece of thick rubber over the pinhole and put a hose clamp over the rubber to hold it tight against the hose in order that I could drive it into town and get a mechanic to replace the hose. When I started the car I found that another pinhole leak had started and was spraying fluid out.

My question is- is something clogged up in the power steering system that is putting too much pressure onto the hose and causing it to spring leaks, or is the hose so old that it is just a coincidence that the second pinhole leak occurred immediately after I patched the first hole? Does the power steering system have a very high pressure? Is it possible that if I patch the second pinhole leak that the system may become so pressurized from a blockage that it will blow something out?

The hose would probably just leak from some other place. Have you been using power steering fluid, or ATF, in this car?

Reply to
hls

========== ==========

# 1..... no cloggs

# 2,,,,,, yes...very high pressure in system.

# 3..... possible, not probable, not likely, haven't seen it in my 30 odd years of wrench turn'n.......but........ possible.

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The pressure in my Mercedes is 65 BAR which is about 975 PSI. Other models are 85 BAR 1275 PSI.

Hoses fail. If all else is ok, there is nothing else wrong.

I like using Vavloline synthetic blend power steering fluid. It has eliminated noise in several of my GM cars power steering systems. Pump out what you can in the reservoir. Fill with fluid. Run it for a week or so. Repeat several times until the fluid stays clean.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

====== ======

On Jul 28, 12:33?pm, "Scott Buchanan" wrote: Hoses fail. If all else is ok, there is nothing else wrong.

I like using Vavloline synthetic blend power steering fluid. It has eliminated noise in several of my GM cars power steering systems. Pump out what you can in the reservoir. Fill with fluid. Run it for a week or so. Repeat several times until the fluid stays clean.

======= =======

The poor mans system flusher......... simple, not to nasty, and quite effective, and does EXACTLY what the flush'n machines do......dilutes the old with new untill old is newsd.

fact, not fiction.

what Scott said.......ditto

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

This is a very high pressure system. If a hose is bad, it is likely bad in a lot of different places. And most likely if ONE hose is bad, other hoses are about to fail soon too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey