previa speedometer

My 95 Previa speedometer stopped working and my overdrive light started flashing. I presume the latter is only indicating the former, but dont know for sure. Could this be something serious brewing? I'm stuck in a town that I want to leave tomorrow (Sunday), as I've already been stranded for days longer than I wanted to be. If I can be pretty sure itsv just the speedometer I dont care, and I will get it taken care of elsewhere. I will try to get a diagnostic code later tonight

Reply to
Joe

I'm only getting a single flash out of the oil light, nothing out of the engine light. I've never run diagnostics on this vehicle before. Something seems goofy but I'm following the directions here that have worked in the past.http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/

Reply to
Joe

I'm only getting a single flash out of the oil light, nothing out of the engine light. I've never run diagnostics on this vehicle before. Something seems goofy but I'm following the directions here that have worked in the past.http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/

********* Lift the driver's seat to get access to the diagnostic terminals.

To get the diagnostic codes, short terminals TE1 and E1 with a paper clip or stiff wire. Make sure the OD switch is on and turn the ignition switch to the on position and count the flashes of the OD light (not the check engine light).

The codes are:

2 times per second - normal 4 quick flashes, a 1.5 second pause, then 2 quick flashes, then the pattern repeats - code 42 - defective speed sensor # 1 in the combination meter or related wiring

code 61 - defective speed sensor #2 in the transmission or related wiring

62, 63, and 64 - shift lock or torque converter lockup solenoids or related wiring

To cancel the codes and erase the memory, pull the 15 amp EFI/MFI fuse for

10 seconds or more.

My guess is that you will have a code 42 or 61, more likely 42.

If the oil pressure warning light is flashing or illuminated, oil pressure is low or the oil pressure sender is bad. In either case, do not run the engine until you find out the cause or the engine will be ruined if it is not already ruined.

If the oil level warning light flashes once, check the engine oil level with the dipstick under the driver's seat and check the oil level in the supplemental oil reservoir under the hood. If the oil level in the crankcase is low, oil will be pumped from the supplemental oil reservoir into the crankcase when the engine is cranking but if the supplemental reservoir is low, then the crankcase oil level will be low.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

I took it for a drive this AM and it seems to drive and shift fine. Cruise isnt working though, which might point toward speed sensor too I suppose. I still get nothing but a blink of the oil light every 4-5 seconds during diagnostics.

.
Reply to
Joe

I took it for a drive this AM and it seems to drive and shift fine. Cruise isnt working though, which might point toward speed sensor too I suppose. I still get nothing but a blink of the oil light every 4-5 seconds during diagnostics.

********* Is the OD button on the shifter pushed in? Are you checking with the ignition in the ON position with the engine not running? If yes to both of the above, pull the EFI/MFI fuse in the dashboard to clear the trouble codes and wait for the OD light to start flashing again.
Reply to
Ray O

.

Yes, I'm doing it that way. I'll try clearing. I've been driving it for 3 days with no troubles.

How hard is it to get the sensor in/out? I dont have jack stands with me and I havent crawled under to look for it though I can probably get close because it has pretty good clearance. I havent found anyone who isnt a crook yet to replace it for me, since I'm on the road for a few weeks.

Reply to
Joe

Depends on which sensor. IIRC, Sensor 1 is in the speedo, and once you get the speedo working your problem will be solved. Is yours a cable speedo or an electronic speedo?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I'm hoping its the tranny sensor, but I do not know that. I guess I dont know what kind of speedometer it has.

Reply to
Joe

The tranny sensor is easy to check if you have a volt meter and jack stands, but my money is on a disconnected speedo cable or bad sensor #1.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah. Joe said his speedo wasn't working.

Like Ray (er, YOU) said in another post, Joe has to remove the speedo and check cabling, etc.

If you're lucky, Joe, you might have a loose connector. From what I can see (thanks, eBay!) you have an electronic speedo. Unfortunately, I don't know how to test the sensor in this unit. However, once you get the speedo working, your trouble should go away.

Crossposting to rec.autos.tech...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

The '93 Previa (I'm guessing that the OP's '95 has the same setup) has an electronic speedometer that is driven by a cable.

Reply to
Ray O

From reading the factory repair manual, it appears that the Previa has a speed sensor on the transmission and a cable going to the speedometer. The cable spins the speed sensor on the back of the speedometer, which sends a signal to the speedo. It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to have both speed sensors on the transmission and just run wires to the speedo like a fully electronic speedo.

Reply to