Problem with radio in 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan

We have a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan with about 45,000 miles.

We recently noticed that the factory standard radio/CD player (made by Clarion) is not pulling in AM very well. We notice the sensitivity is significantly reduced (even strong local AM stations are coming in weakly), and when the signal is weak enough, we hear a lot of ignition noise. Since I listen to the AM radio often, something definitely changed. I don't know if its something with the ignition system (filter gone bad?) or with the radio itself, or both.

What are the possible problem(s)? Otherwise, the car drives fine (so whatever the problem(s), they have not affected the ignition system.) Do note the radio is now out-of-warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Jon Noring

Reply to
Jon Noring

Tony Hwang

Please reread my original message.

As I noted in my original message, something has changed since I listen to the AM radio often, and in cross-country trips used it for DX (it was reasonably sensitive.) It's now useless for DXing.

Something definitely has changed. And I want to make sure that there's not a problem elsewhere (isn't there a filter in the ignition system?) contributing to this noticeable problem. I don't want to buy a new radio and find the problem lies elsewhere.

(I'll check the antenna connection. Thanks for the reminder.)

Thanks.

Jon Noring

Reply to
Jon Noring

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Along with Greg's idea, installation of METALLIZED window tint film has been blamed for affecting reception in some Subarus. Does you model have the antenna wiring incorporated in a window?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

J> We have a 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan with about 45,000 miles. >

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Approximately 8/23/03 21:18, Jon Noring uttered for posterity:

Could be a filter, could be a loose ground. Could also be the connection to the antenna has come a bit loose or is crudded up. On a cassette combo, you could usually reach the antenna trim adjust by opening the front flap, biggest effect is on AM. With a bright flashlight, if there is a cassette or CD flap, pop it open and see if you see a small trimmer screw easily reached from the front. If not there, they are usually reachable near where the antenna enters the chassis.

Bad plug wires annoy AM as does a noisy alternator due to a poor ground or worn out filter [at the alternator]. Alternators tend to cause whine, plug wires are staccato and both vary with engine speed.

If you can reach the antenna input, remove it, [usually an RCA type plug], twist a few times in the socket, then bend the ears in *very* gently and replace. If you have a power antenna, make sure it is tight and the cable entry at the bottom is clean and tight.

Since is out of warranty, a friendly local aftermarket radio dealer might take a quick fix attempt reasonably cheap...otherwise it is likely cheaper to put in a new radio.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Check the radio user manual. The reception level on some radio models can be adjusted (there are few levels of reception sensitivity). Maybe your battery was replaced or disconnected and does changing to factory default level reception.

Reply to
Ariel