Problems removing engine/trans from '89 Cressida

I'm in the midst of trying to get the engine and trans out of an '89 Toyota Cressida. Should I be pulling the trans and engine together? The topmost trans to engine bolts seem about impossible to get to in car. Are the chain hooks on the engine (one at the rear one on the alternator bracket on front) strong enough to hold both the engine and trans?

If not, anyone have suggestions for accessing the trans- engine connecting bolts?

Thanks!

Reply to
Doc

My experience in working on Toyota trucks is that you need to tilt the engine by removing the rear trans support and then use 3-4 feet of extentions on your ratchet to remove the upper bolts. Unless you have a fancy hoist that can tilt the complete engine and trans you'd be better off separating the two IMHO.

Reply to
Wolfgang