Problems with 1998 Grand Voyager Check Engine Light - The saga continues

They are succeptible to a whole lot more than that. Dropped valve guides were common in the earlier years, and valve guide wear is still a problem. At about 90,000km the heads on my New Yorker were replaced under warranty due to a couple dropped guides. At about 190,000 I had to replace the heads again due to worn guides causing oil consumption and killing the cat. New heads and cat passed emissions just fine - and again this year at 240,000km. Darn MitsuShitty engines!!!

Reply to
clare

Now we are getting somewhere. The valve click is likely the missing clue. The valve guides on those MitsuShitty engines have a reputation (well earned) for failing. Early ones simply fell out - newer ones wear out. I suspect you have a loose valve guide on the exhaust valve of #5. Pull the rocker cover and turn the engine till the valve is fully closed, then attempt to wiggle the top of the valve. ANY noticeable movement is excessive. Have the heads rebuilt and you should be good for close to another 50,000 miles or more. The bottom end on those engines is pretty solid - I have over 240,000km on mine - on the third set of heads. Guides fell out of the first set, and wore out on the second.

This click has been with us for a long time.

Reply to
clare

There is product named Techton or Techron not sure. It's made by Chevron and we can get it at Wal-Mart here for about $6 or so. It comes in a black plastic bottle. On it it says something like concentrated formula. There are other Chevron products that say they have Techtron in them, things like fuel injector cleaner with Techron (in blue bottles I think). You need the concentrated formula. It's specifically designed to attack carbon and is also sold by VW and BMW dealers usually at 2 to 4 times the price.

Its about the best product I ever used for removing carbon from valves. You may need two treatments. Must do an oil change after the

2nd treatment.

Search for it on the web. It may help.

Fred

Reply to
fred

Fred,

Thanks for the suggesti> There is product named Techton or Techron not sure. It's made by

Reply to
C. E. White

I thought I should let everyone know about the final resolution of the check engine light saga. In the end it was a burned exhaust valve on cylinder #5. The vehicle has been running fine for 2 months now. Alls well that ends well I guess ($900 fix though).

Ed

"C. E. White" wrote:

came back. It turns

the shop for