programming car chips

do chips have to be removed to be reprogrammed in general? do any cars allow for in-vehicle reprogramming?

do they use eeprom for 2004 cars?

just trying to get an idea if this is a DIY thing or is a logic analyzer needed to figure things out

yes I can search but i figure there should be some car hackers here that have done some of this how cheaply can it be done?

I'd like to get at the drive-cycle code and all that kind of data

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:mc7kec$jik$3 @dont-email.me:

depends on brand and car. need more info KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

4-door mazda six 2004

I did find a guy that sniff'd the signals on his rx8 and designed a unit to display data from a turbo onto the stock lcd but this is different than what I am interested in doing

would like to get at the internals

Reply to
Electric Comet