Puff of White Smoke, at speed

Three times in the last two weeks I've been traveling down the freeway at about 65 and my Geo Metro has sputtered and a puff of white smoke has come out ( I presume ) the exhaust: I can see the "puff," which is fairly substantial, in my rear-view mirror. The car seems to run fine after this happens, but it is scary as you-know-what. Any suggestions as to what might be happening?

Thank you, people.

Reply to
Harry Truman

Did it start right after you got a tank of gas from a cheap gas station known for water contamination problems?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

White smoke is normal on a cold engine when it's cold outside (say, below freezing) and goes away after the engine's warmed up.

Since it's not that cold, you may have a problem in the form of a blown head gasket, or worse, a cracked engine block. Keep an eye on the engine coolant bottle, does the level stay the same over a few days or is it getting lower? If you pull out the oil dipstick, you may see the coolant if it is in the oil (as it may be with a blown gasket).

Reply to
Bob M.

pressure test of your cooling system. sounds like you are losing antifreeze. could be head gasket failure.

Reply to
boxing

Oil leak dripping on the exhaust manifold or pipe.

Reply to
Steve

I work at a Chevron and buy most of my gas there, but have bought at several different stations and still have the same problem.

Reply to
Harry Truman