Q. re. '96 Corolla CAm Timing Mark

I'm changing the timing belt on my '96 Corolla. The hard part was breaking free the harmonic balancer bolt. I tried jamming the camshaft to keep the engine from spinning while turning the bolt, but after a few sudden jumps, I began to worry that the timing belt was slipping and tried another way. ( I wish I had looked at the timing marks before turning that bolt, but I didn't.)

Now, with the crank at TDC, the cam sprocket is oriented at a peculiar angle, as shown in the photo below:

I assume that the "K-spoke", (one of two with a hole through it, the other being the "A-spoke) should allign with the notch on top of the bearing cap, and that I have in fact slipped two notches. But being trained in the "never assume anything" school of thought . . . can anyone confirm this assumption? How should the cam sprocket be oriented at TDC?

Reply to
Wannacat

You work for NASA (address above), and can't change a timing belt? Oh. My. God. We're in a heap 'o trouble, kiddies!

The SOHC "4A-FE and 7A-FE" engines start about 3/4 of the way down the page:

MasterBlaster

On Jun 1, 11:12 am, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
Wannacat

Reply to
W. Stiefer

I couldn't find that text anywhere on the page link I gave you.

Does the page you're looking at say: "Timing Belt and Sprockets Toyota Corolla 1988-1997 Repair Guide"?

While we're at it, which exact engine do you have?

4A-GE / 4A-F / 4A-FE / 7A-FE There should be a sticker on the underside of the hood.

But nothing to validate incoming signals that would prevent Orbiters from crashing into Mars? :-P

Reply to
MasterBlaster