[Q] Roof A/C

Did anyone try installing a roof a/c in a passenger car (that's not equipped with an A/C OR underpowered to have stock A/C run properly)? I see some supposedly chinese brands that I have no desire to guinea pig through. thanks

Reply to
sndive

An RV/camper style A/C on a car? I have never tried it. Cool air goes down, warm air goes up.

Reply to
JR

For the same cooling it will require the same amount of power. Instead of getting it directly from the engine by a drive belt it will convert the engine power to electric first and then run a compressor with an electric motor. Even assuming 90% efficiency for the alternator and motor you wind up needing, in simple inexact terms, 20% more power to do it that way then with a stock engine driven ac. And the air distribution will be worse.

We had a van at work where we put in a "top RV type unit" so we could get extra cooling while the van was stopped and my recollection is that it didn't seem like it was nearly as effective at cooling the van as the factory ac system was. And it was noisy as hell.

Also, if you drive on the freeway that thing sticking up on your roof will probably also be effectively another 5% extra load over and above the AC power load.

Not to mention that when you go to sell the car no one will want to pay "book value" for a car with that kludge on it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher