Question about 1999 Buick Regal with Monsoon Stereo (want to upgrade the head unit)

I have a 1999 Buick Regal with a stock Monsoon AM/FM Cassette/CD head unit.

I really don't like the stock head unit so I'm looking to upgrade to a newer OEM unit that would be compatible with XM satellite, with a full text dot matrix display.

I would, however, still want to be able use the (factory) steering wheel mounted stereo controls.

I couldn't find an after-market stereo that would be able utilize the factory steering wheel stereo controls without some wonky 3rd party device, and I really wouldn't want to go that route.

So I was wondering if there's any way I would be able to install a newer (OEM) GM head unit that would allow me to have a full text readout with XM capabilities as well as steering wheel controls. Like something from 2002 or newer that I could get from eBay.

I'm not afraid of soldering, so making a home-made wiring harness wouldn't be out of the question at all.

Obviously I'm a total newbie when it comes to this sort of thing so please go easy on me ;-)

Reply to
Bill.Canfield

Try looking at some Pontiacs, as many had steer. whl. controls. I wanted an OEM with MP3 player for my '03 GMC Sonoma (non-st. whl. controls) that would look factory, and found one in a Pontiac Gran Am(iirc) that looked as if would bolt in & look factory. Then found one on Ebay--even the wiring harness plug fit right in, & the final look could easily be mistaken as factory by most. Also, some Yukons and Suburbans had the st. whl. controls. Good luck. s

Reply to
sdlomi2