question about changing fuel filter

76 Olds 455 engine, 4bbl carb

The fuel filter is easy to get to, on the front of the carburetor. It's a small paper cylinder, open on one end, closed on the other end. There are a couple of fittings to unscrew then the fuel filter inserts into a small metal tube. One end of the tube goes into the carburetor, the gas line from the fuel pump connects to the other end. There's a spring to hold the fuel filter in place, under some tension.

I didn't take it off the car, somebody else did, or I wouldn't have this problem. If I had taken it off, then I would know how it is supposed to go back together. There are 4 possibilities, and 3 of them must be wrong!

There is no indication on the fuel filter which end goes in which direction. My guess is that the open end goes towards the fuel pump line, the closed end goes towards the carburetor. Correct?

I'm guessing the spring goes on the carburetor side, to press the fuel filter against the intake line from the fuel pump. Correct?

This is my first visit to this group, and hope this is an appropriate question. Thanks.

Reply to
Herbie

"My guess is that the open end goes towards the fuel pump line, the closed end goes towards the carburetor. Correct?

I'm guessing the spring goes on the carburetor side, to press the fuel filter against the intake line from the fuel pump. Correct? Yes and Yes. I had the same mental question a couple of weeks ago when I took my fuel line off the carb. It was cold and I wasn't watching closely, so when it came time to reassemble, I had some figuring to do. You probably know to use a two wrenches for putting it back on. careful you don't twist the fuel line. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick

Thanks a million! Also, thanks for the caution, which comes a few years too late... I already twisted the fuel line, a long time ago, but not too badly. It still connects OK. I know how to do it correctly with the 2 wrenches now - very slow, easy, and careful. :) Herbie

Reply to
Herbie

As I remember, some of those fittings into the carburetor were very bad about stripping the threads when you were trying to get them back together. There were repair kits sold in auto parts stores to help you get back in action after you had screwed up the casting.

This is from memory, but I believe it is accurate.

Reply to
<HLS

You've got a good memory and, yes, it is accurate. First off, the proper way to change this fuel filter is to use a tubing wrench on the fuel line and a regular open end wrench on the nut that screws into the carb. (Forgot the size on this) Hold the big nut with the open end wrench so that it doesn't turn and then use the tubing wrench to unscrew the fuel line. The tubing wrench is important because the fuel line is easy to "round off" by using a real wrench. Once the fuel line is disconnected, unscrew the big nut that screws into the carb and VIOLA, you have your fuel filter. Replace fuel filter and reverse the order to reassemble. Now here's the bad part. The fuel line is easy to round off like previously mentioned. Also, the big nut is easy to strip threads when screwing back into the carb. There were/are repair kits for the big nut, but they involved an oversized threaded part that wasn't meant to ever be taken out again. I once had a persistant leaker that the final fix was to JB Weld the nut into the carb. Of couse, in that case you leave the fuel filter completely out and then you install an in-line fuel filter in the rubber hoses down by the fuel pump. A much better and bigger filter, BTW. Also easier to change later on and it gives you a better peace of mind. This was not one of GM's better ideas.

Reply to
Kruse

Actually, the best thing to do is simply cut the fuel line about an inch or 2 back from the fitting. Then install a see thru inline gas filter as a primary filter. When you need to change the little filter at the carb (which won't be very often) you simply unscrew the whole thing - you never have to mess with unscrewing that line fitting again.

-jim

Reply to
jim

It is accurate. BTDT.