QUESTION: cooling system

Hi there.

My 11 years old car recently started to experience cooling system problems. It does not overheat. The problem is, once it gets at nominal temperature, there 'seems' to be too much pressure building up in the system. As a result, the hoses are leaking. I have tightened the metal clamps (holding the hoses on the other parts) as much as possible but it is not good enough.

One amateur mechanic told me there may be too much obstruction in the system due to limestone accumulation in the radiator and other locations.

Is this possible?

Furthermore, he told be that a quick fix for that is to put 2 spoonful of sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda) in the coolant tank, run the engine for a while and then flush the system.

Does that make sense? Is it safe?

To get rid of limestone, wouldn't a product such as CLR (rust/limestone remover) do better? Or is there a product available specifically for this kind of cooling system maintenance?

Thanks

Reply to
Christian Langis

The radiator cap normally releases excess pressure. Have you checked or replaced it?

How did you determine you had excess pressure?

Reply to
hyundaitech

This doesn't ring true to me. The water pump itself can't generate all that much pressure... The pressure is created by the heating of the water in a sealed system. If the system was clogged up it should still run at normal pressures until it overheated, which it would if it was that clogged up.

I suspect a bad radiator cap. Swap it out. You might want to go ahead and change the hoses and clamps as well if they are original.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I'm with you, Steve. B. I would remove the hoses, thermostat, and radiator cap and flush the whole thing with the garden hose...Then replace the parts I had removed.

Reply to
HLS

message

want to go

are original.

thermostat, and radiator

replace the parts

If it is a GM V6 and probably many other modern engines you have to add 2 pellets of sealing "Stuff" if you drain the radiator or even new hoses and clamps will weap. Most of these engines run at 135kPa (19.5psi for the uninitiated)

The part number could be M40124 or 92140053. (These are the Aus. parts.)

11 years old is a modern engine..
Reply to
John G

My car has no radiator cap. My system has a coolant tank connected with a hose to teh radiator.

The leak occurs at the hose that takes the hot coolant from the engine to the radiator. The leak occurs at the junction of this hose and the engine. I tightened the clamp to the max and still, it leaks about 1 drop/second when hot. It stops immediately when I open the coollant tank cap as that releases the pressure inside the system.

Either 2 things:

1-the radiator is clogged and as a result the waterpump compresses the coolant too much building up pressure on this segment of the cooling system. 2-the hose has a flaw that I could not find by manual nor visual inspection (it is 11 year old).

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
Christian Langis

At 11 years old, I'd start by replacing the hoses and checking the engine ports for corrosion and clean if necessary. I would do all the coolant hoses and the thermostat at the same time. (Pick your poison. To me it's a small amount of money for additional insurance of little grief later).

If you have no radiator cap, then the cap on your reservoir provides the pressure relief. I'd check and/or replace it as well.

Reply to
hyundaitech

connected with

from the engine

hose and the

leaks about 1

coollant tank

compresses the

the cooling system.

visual

Have you checked or

Sorry I previously replied to the wrong poster.

If it is a GM V6 and probably many other modern engines you have to add 2 pellets of sealing "Stuff" if you drain the radiator or even new hoses and clamps will weep. Most of these engines run at 135kPa (19.5psi for the uninitiated)

The part number could be M40124 or 92140053. (These are the Aus. parts.)

11 years old is a modern engine. and is far too old for the hose to be relied on Buy a new hose and check with the car distributor about pellets. Carefully clean the corrosion from the pipe where the hose attaches.

As someone else said the pump will not develop that sort of pressure. It is just an impellor and moves the water at whatever pressure the cap determines. There is no difference between a tank cap and an actual radiator cap, It is still on the sealed system and determines the working pressure.If it is 11 years old it may be jammed shut. Buy a new one.

Reply to
John G

You don't mention the model, which would allow more than simply general guesswork.

Your car is new enough that it is designed to operate under pressure. If your hoses are leaking, they are possibly simply getting old and their clamps may also be damaged. Any soft hoses are old and should be replaced.

Take the car to a specialty radiator shop and have them check the pressure and system.

The shop may recommend that they do a pressurized leak test, which puts the system under even higher pressure.

"Amateur" is being kind. Doofus would be more accurate.

Only if you run tap water in your radiator, which would not be a good idea, particularly in a heavily mineralized water area.

Avoid asking that person for advice. They haven't a clue and are ignorant of chemistry. Baking soda won't remove one teeny tiny bit of any limestone type deposit. For removing limestone you would need a mild acid such as vinegar, etc. [*DON'T* add vinegar to your cooling system... let a radiator shop clean it for you...]

No, it is nonsense. It might be safe only in that it is useless.

Don't use generic removers.

Strongly suggest paying a radiator shop a hundred dollars or so rather than trying to fix this on your own and potentially ruining pieces of your cooling system and heater that will cost thousands to replace.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

It really would help to NAME THE CAR.

Replace that hose and use new clamps.

  1. A clogged radiator causes overheating, not excessive pressure.
  2. The pressure in your radiator is set by the pressure cap. It should NEVER release unless something is really really wrong in your cooling system. Using a hose leak to determine that you have "excessive pressure" is useless and misleading.
  3. That hose may be collapsed. Or simply old. That hose is cheap. Your engine is expensive.
Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11