question for a seat belt expert...

I have a conversion van that has after market seating in it. My problem is that the shoulder seat belts for the wall seats are extremely uncomfortable. They cut across the neck area and I'm constantly having complaints from passengers that sit in the wall seats. I think what needs to change is the "Offset" for the top mount point. That's the piece that has the loop on it for the belt to go through and also mounts to the wall on top. This piece is long, and brings the loop down around 8 inches lower from where the wall mount is. I think this is already the longest regularly available offset, but I believe I need around 12 inches to get the belt onto the shoulder rather than neck.

I haven't been able to find anything longer than 8 inch offsets from after market, but then I haven't done anything more than a few web searches either. Anyone know if longer offsets are available? If not, is there any way to move the offset mount point down? Welding and cutting is still on the table here, but I'm not sure how I would get that done and certified as safe. As far as I'm concerned, anything would be safer than them - even just lap belts. I'm not sure about the legality of replacing shoulder belts with lap belts though.... might expose me to some liability issues.

Oh, btw the conversion manufacturer hasn't been helpful at all.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Just learned that the term should be Sash Guide. So I need an extra long Sash Guide if they are out there or there is a way to have them made.

Reply to
Dave

There is a product out there that clips the shoulder strap to the lap belt so you can adjust the offset from the bottom to keep it off your neck. It will also release in an impact so the belt works properly.

I have them in my Jeep CJ7 because I am really tall and the belt bites my neck bad. These little gizmos work well.

They are called 'Seatbelt Adjuster'

They are even certified safe and actually work for kids in booster seats up here in Canada.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I have a conversion van that has after market seating in it. My
Reply to
Mike Romain

That sounds quick and easy, I'll have to give them a shot. I'm a little concerned that since i have different passengers coming and going that these little things will get moved around or may confuse the passengers. But if they work out, it sure beats anything I had in mind.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

They adjust easy for each passenger. The main part just slides along and the shoulder belt just clips in. I have them on both sides of my Jeep. When offroading, the movements cause the shoulder strap to dig into a 'lot' of folks, so having a quick easy adjuster is great.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > That sounds quick and easy, I'll have to give them a shot. I'm a
Reply to
Mike Romain