Question re Wheel Bearing Grease Seal

I just put a new front brake hub/rotor assembly on my 85 Chevy Caprice. It's disk brakes in front. The inner bearing and grease seal stayed on the spindle when I removed the old hub/rotor. I tried to get the inner bearing and grease seal to stay on the new hub but the grease seal doesn't fit snugly into the hub/rotor. So, the grease seal was not tight in the old hub, and also is not tight in the new hub. Does it have to be tight? What if it falls backwards a little bit? Is there something preventing it from falling back, when the whole assembly is put back together? I put it all back together (the new hub/rotor and the old grease seal), and it spins well without much noise. Could the seal be tightening up anyway, by pressing against whatever it butts against?

Do I need to take it all apart again, and find a grease cap that fits tightly into the new hub/rotor?

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

On every one I have ever worked on, the inner grease seal taps into the bore snugly, and I would venture that yours should too..

Reply to
<HLS

The seals are bad and need to be replaced. Whenever you take the hub off the bearings should be cleaned and repacked with grease and new seals installed. They have to be tapped in the hub. Check your local library for a service manual for the correct service procedures......

Reply to
Woody

take it back apart and buy a knew seal and bearing-- or wait till you break down on the side of the road with welded parts stuck togather

Reply to
tudysmuck

Thanks for the replies. I got a new seal. It fits nice and snugly. I had to tap it quite a bit with a hammer to get it to seat evenly. I just repacked the bearings, didn't get new ones, since they seemed OK. Even got new pads for the nice flat new rotor. Thanks for the help, guys.

Reply to
Caprice85

Hello user, bring the hub to the parts store and have them give you a different seal that will fit snug. Mike De Vito

Reply to
Michael C De Vito