QUESTION: What is this discoloration on the rubber trim??

Hi all.

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.

I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that surrounds my windshield on the outside.

It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like saltwater might stain something. But it's not coming out easily.

Is this maybe sun damage? Anything I can do about this?

Here's a pic (60kB)

Thanks for any tips.

Cheers,

BD

Reply to
BD

Looks like silicate particles in the airflow are etching the rubber and leaving some behind. Armor All?

Reply to
David

Would brake fluid help clear this kind of wear?

Reply to
Noozer

doesn't seem too severe - possibly wax?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I've had good results with Armor All on black plastic trim. However, Mother's has a product called "Back to Black", which I like a lot better. Back to Black is like a thick Armor All.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Yeah, I feel Armor All and Son-of-a-Gun are not as good as 303 Protectant.

example;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You will find that on a LOT of vehicles. It is the result of UV degradation of the vinyl compounds they use to make the trim. If you want to remove it easily, buy some 00 STAINLESS STEEL wool and GENTLY scrub the trim. Then use some 303 protectant on it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks, I will do. I have some 00 Bulldog wool I used for cleaning water stains off the outside mirrors.

Hadn't heard of 303 protectant, but I'll give that a go.

Cheers,

BD

Reply to
BD

Thanks!

That looks very interesting, I'll give it a try. I figure if it works well for you in TX, it'll work great here in the New England "training wheel" sun.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Are you really suggesting he use brake fluid or is this some kind of dirty trick?

Reply to
cavedweller

Brake fluid is supposed to be great for renewing rubber. You DO have to be CAREFUL to avoid getting it on painted surfaces.

Reply to
Noozer

It can also damage some plastics.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

You could also try brass wool from a boating/marine supply store.

Reply to
QX

I would think extra fine synthetic steel wool, at any paint store, would also work.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

try race graze auto trim renewer its expensive but its worth it

Reply to
mpberti