R134A AC retrofit

The condenser shoud be pretty easy to replace on this car. It sits just in front of the radiator and should lift right out.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The local major auto AC supply house here in Phoenix sells Freeze 12 along with replacement compressors and everything else. I'll have to ask them next time I'm there if they feel it's a warranty issue but I'm guessing that since they sell the stuff they don't feel it's a problem.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Is the model/year and/or the particular car just something you drive around, or does it have potential collector value that should bias you toward doing something that involves right-looking parts in the right places?

I'd also suggest going through the whole system and changing out all that Carter Administration rubber, down to the last little O-ring -- you wouldn't want to go through all that expense and trouble and leave a deteriorated single point of failure lurking in some hard to get at position...

If you go with aftermarket, let us know how it comes out. I'm thinking about a retrofit kit for my old (non A/C equipped) T-bird, since the heater core has cacked it and I'll have to spend similar amounts of time in the Jacques Cousteau position under the dash whether I just fix it or upgrade to A/C. The price is considerably different, of course, but it'd make the difference between a three- season car (well, two season with the dead heater core) and a comfy year-round driver...

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Just drive around.

That's a good idea. I'll have to stick my head under the dash and see how difficult the fittings are to get to. As for the engine compartment stuff, after the price of a new compressor, a few new hoses are no problem.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.