Radials for 71 Matador

I just purchased a set at Discount Tire. Whitewall even. Of all the tires in that size, this one tire was the only one not designated as a "trailer tire".

Reply to
sctvguy1

sctvguy1 wrote in news:ldbqit$o92$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It's liability legislation that has THEM by the short hairs: if they don't toe the government line, they could be put out of business. Or worse.

Bring them the wheels only and tell them the wheels are going on a trailer. That way they're off the hook, liability-wise.

Reply to
Tegger

I dunno that I would recommend that... they're not labeled as passenger car tires for a reason. Tires are literally the most important piece of safet y equipment on your car... I'm that guy that will put a $400 set of tires o n a $600 car because I like to stop and turn...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Trailer tire construction is different than passenger tire construction. Passenger tires are belted and molded using different materials and rubber compounds to allow for the vehicles dynamics while in motion.

Trailer tires are intended to support weight and be moved in a more or less straight line. As such they are stiffer than passenger tires and do not absorb as much of the road contours. They also will not handle the cornering and braking forces imparted on a tire by a vehicle. The tread design is also not made for use as a steering tire.

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote: "Trailer tire construction is different than passenger tire construction. Passenger tires are belted and molded using different materials and rubber compounds to allow for the vehicles dynamics while in motion. "

What we are concerned about here is that a size of passenger tire once common long ago is no longer available in a P-designation - at least not in the O.P.'s homeland.

Even on tirerack it comes only for trailer application.

Do these tiremakers - or the government - actually BELIEVE that one one drives a 1971 car around anymore?!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

That was "NO ONE" drives a 1971 car. Which is what I actually keyed in - and my auto-correct is off! smh

Reply to
thekmanrocks

There are tires available that will interchange with the OEM size. Are they the exact same size? NO. That is because the current sizes are in metric and even the OEM sizes made by different makers varied more than the new sizes.

Factory base size was E78-14 That works out to a tread width of 195 mm and a diameter of 658 mm.

205/70-14 would be a good size. Tire rack shows 4 tires in stock in that size.
Reply to
Steve W.

I suspect it's because it's a 75 series tire. Very few cars use such tall tires anymore but apparently lots of trailers do.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It cost me $286 out the door, I kept my old tires and sold them for $80 to a guy who needed a set to use on his 61 T-bird while he's restoring it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

so how do you like them?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

So far, so good. They are whitewalls, which makes a load of difference in the looks, and they are much bigger, fill in the wheel wells. The ride, so far, just around town is much better than the other tires.

Reply to
sctvguy1

I bought an entire set, five, and total out the door was $406.

Reply to
sctvguy1

I went with the 215/75, it corresponded to the "G-78" size. It was the tire recommended for the V-8 with A/C and automatic.

Reply to
sctvguy1

That reminded me of another tire story. I bought a state auction car that had cheap firestones on it. The car was hard on the front tires and by six months the car needed new tires. So I bought a cheap set at Discount. The difference in how that car, 93 Corsica, handled was astounding.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Did you get the road hazard warranty? I passed on it. I've had it on several sets of tires over the past 30 years and have never collected on it once.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yes, I got that, because I am disabled and on a fixed income, so I am not taking any chances on the replacement of these tires.

Reply to
sctvguy1