Radiator fan comes on too soon.

Does anyone know what would cause the electric radiator fan to come on within a minute or so of starting a cold engine and staying on the entire time the car is being driven? Sometimes it only takes a few seconds after starting the engine until it comes on. It is keeping the engine very cool according to the gauge, and I can't get anything more than lukewarm air from the heater because of it. I replaced the radiator fan sensor that screws into the engine block and it didn't help. I replaced the radiator and water pump and it didn't help. This is an engine that has always been well-maintained including periodic changing of the coolant. It is a 1994 Beretta with a 6 cylinder.

Is it possible that a piece of foreign material, such as a piece of gasket, has lodged into a port near the place where the sensor is located? The engine coolant appears to be flowing freely through the water pump, radiator, and heater core. If I rev the engine at a very high RPM for around

5 minutes it will finally warm up and the heater puts out good heat, but as soon as I allow the enging to idle back down the engine immediately cools down and the heater goes back to lukewarm air.

I bought the car new in 1994 and the temperature gauge always stayed slightly above halfway. Since this problem started, the temperature gauge stays way to the left and the fan runs constantly.

Thanks.

Replace the thermostat.

Many times the electric fans are tied in to the AC system and may come on with the defroster also.

If the thermostat is working, even if the fan runs all the time it should not make a difference in the heater's output.

Reply to
anumber1

"j" wrote in news:5XuQi.4352$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

pretty much any heater position other than heat and vent will also turn on the ac and so the eng fan. sounds like you may have a thermostat that is stuck open and should be changed. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

The fan can't cause the engine to cool, it can only help to keep it from overheating. The thermostat is the primary device regulating engine temperature and I suspect yours has failed. I don't know how this could cause the fan to run, but if you sort out the engine temperature problem, you may find that you have sorted the fan problem. Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Reply to
Dan Beaton