Radiator hoses shelf life?

Hello!

Yesterday I bought some replacement hoses for my Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo... but I got hoses which were manufacturad back in November 1992 (just two months younger than my car!). I wonder about shelf life for rubber radiator hoses. Should I return them?

Best regards,

JOSE

Reply to
Jose V. Gavila

Depends on how they've been stored, really. I have a NOS lower hose on my '62 Studebaker (hey, that's what SASCO sent me, I didn't specify NOS or new) and it's working fine. Life might be a *little* less than if they were new production but you check 'em regularly right? Now if they don't feel soft and supple, or show any surface cracking, I'd take 'em back and demand newer ones.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They're made of a completely different rubber than the other hoses, the kind used for the door and trunk weatherstrips and for rubber roofing, EDPM. It's almost 100% ozone-proof and UV-proof and seems to be affected only by gasoline and oils (not silicone oil).

Reply to
Norm De Plume