Radiator Recommendations?

Hiya

Just bought a 1995 Ford E250 3/4 ton 4.9L I6 cargo van which has been overheating on the highway and a couple days ago I noticed a tiny point in the upper section of the radiator that leaks fluid at highway speeds. I figure it's best to just buy a new radiator as there is a lot of rust on this vehicle and I'm assuming the inside of the current radiator is probably looking bad. Right now I'm looking at buying an OEM from radiator.com, an aftermarket made by Performance Radiator from performanceradiator.com, or ordering one through Auto Zone (not sure what brand they're selling). All are around the same price of $170-$180, so I would appreciate any opinions on how I should proceed. Also open to any other suggestions.

thanks Jay

Reply to
Ford Warrior

In these cases, it might be best to decide based on warrantee period and ease of return. If you have to return it to one of the web-based businesses, are you at risk of having to mail it back at your expense?

What exactly will void the warrantee? DOes it have to be installed by a repair facility? Etc, etc.

I would research on the manufacturer AND the supplier.

Reply to
mst

I believe the radiator I purchased for my dad's car (Mercury Tracer 1.9L) was a Modine and I got it at NAPA. Like another poster said, it'd be great if you could get a good price but if you have to return it, it's a big item and likely to cost quite a bit to return if needed. Check the return policy and see what that entails. Modine makes good radiators. You might ask them for the jobber price too. I think I got a $20 discount on a $140 radiator.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I would go to a local radiator shop, if you have one, and talk to them. They can give you fast service and probably a decent warranty.

If you must, check internet prices versus the radiator shop. Then being fully advised you can make a better decision.

Reply to
<HLS

Check local parts wholesalers and radiator supplies since they're sometimes cheaper than the mass market retailers.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Well after scanning the phonebook I ended up calling a number that was actually radiator.com and purchased a Proliance for $163 shipped to my home. They offer lifetime warranty and they cover return costs 100% via fedex if theres a problem. Proliance is the new name for Modine apparently as the result of a business merger. Hope the quality is still as good as it used to be. Wish me luck

thanks again Jay

Reply to
Ford Warrior