Radiator stop leak?

I have one or two pin holes in an aluminum radiator. Do any of those radiator stop leak products work? Would I be risking clogging up any of the smaller coolant passages if I use one? I'm not looking forward to paying for or changing a radiator but I don't want to do more damage by dumping a $4 bottle of questionable gunk into the cooling system.

Thanks, Vinny

Reply to
Chenz759

Joseph A. Zupko

I've never had a problem with clogging using BARsLeak. And I have gotten a radiator through a few years by using it yearly. In the really long term you will have to replace that radiator as the leak will become a more regular problem. The leak in your radiator developed from vibration and corrosion. This process continues and will only make the radiator worse tomorrow.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

I had a pinhole in mine and used Bars, half a bottle at a time. The first half lasted about 6mos. Then I added the 2nd half of the bottle. So far the leak hasn't come back and the cooling system is working just fine. If it's not a major leak -yet- I'd use the Bars. You may be able to find a radiator on ebay for a decent price. They're not too hard to replace.

Reply to
mazdaman85

Haven't used any of that stuff in many years. My past experience was that every vehicle I poured it in, the first thing the stop leak did was to seek out the heater core and promptly plug it up.

Reply to
TomO

First thing you should do is find out why the rad leaks! If its rock damage then stop leak of some type might get you by for awhile, remember though you are not solving the problem! If your problem is due to electrolysis then you have to have your complete cooling system flushed out NO OLD antifreeze can be left, get your rad repaired (yes they can be repaired many times by a good rad shop!) or replaced. If you are buying a used rad make sure there is no black looking areas as this is a sign of electrolysis.

Reply to
frosty the radman