Radical tire rotation?

I'd like to do a radical rotation of my tires, have them dismounted from the wheels and put back on with the rounded off corners inward. I would make sure that they are still rotating in the same direction. Is this a bad idea?

Another question. So that my windshield washer solution does not freeze, I have been making it up from deionized water with Glass Science Ultra Clean Super Concentrate added. The wipers have started to squeak, badly, when I am running them, and spray, to clean the windshield (it never rains here). Is there something, like a drop or two of dish soap, that I could add, to stop the squeaking? The blades are pretty new.

Ham

Reply to
Hamish

Well, you're supposed to do this BEFORE it gets to the point where they are rounded off. But give it a try, you might get more miles out of the tires.

I'd get the alignment checked by a real alignment guy, though. Not by the rire store bozos.

I'd first clean the blades and make sure they are not gunked up. Then I'd get the MSDS and see what this concentrate has in it. Remember, what keeps the stuff from freezing is methanol. It should have a little bit of soapy stuff in there to cause the water to bead up properly and it should have a little bit of ammonia in there to dissolve stuck-on gunk. Too much or too little of the soapy stuff or the ammonia can make squeaking problems worse.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yeah, what Scott said, on the tires...

On the windshield wipers, I have found that, no matter what I do, I cant get more than about a year out of a set of wipers before the rubber degrades. Your wipers may need changing.

You could certainly add a little Dawn or something similar to give a little lubrication to your wash solution.

Reply to
HLS

I think I may have only posted this to RAD, but I bought a set of PIAA "super silicone" wiper blades as a test, as I was disgusted with the life I was getting from even good parts store blades/refills (Bosch, Anco, Trico - no difference, I was getting only maybe 6 mos. tops out of them before they started getting hard.) I actually wore out the silicone blades after a year - they were still supple, but the wiping edges were starting to get worn down and they were getting a little streaky. By that time PIAA had started producing refills, so I bought a pair of those and they are still good. At the same time as I bought the first set of PIAA blades for the Impala I also bought a set for the Porsche and since it gets much less use those are still good. I liked 'em so much that I bought a set for the ugly Ford truck when I bought the refills, and I'd buy a set for the Studebaker if they came in a 12" size.

The only downside that I do see is a little bit of "haze" on the windshield when wiping which doesn't really impede vision but looks a little wierd. On intermittent it clears within less than a second after the wipers pass over the windshield.

Normally I'd feel weird giving an endorsement to PIAA products as they seem to be the king of gimmicky rice-boy products but the wipers are bar none the best I have ever used. They're especially nice for low-mileage cars where the rubber typically degrades before the wiping edges wear out due to actual use of the wipers, as the ones on the Porsche have been on there since December '06 and are still good.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Have you ever tried the Michelin wipers? They are a bit more expensive, and I guess I am hesitant to spend more money if it is just going to be a name change and no improvement.

Reply to
HLS

I haven't but a friend bought a set for his pickup, I didn't really notice any difference in life between those and the ones I was using at the time. the only ones I've tried that I wasn't disgusted with the silly short life were the PIAAs.

nate

Reply to
N8N