Radio not working

Recently bought a 1995 Acclaim and radio doesn't work. Does anyone know the procdure for troubleshooting a car radio? The main fuse located under the dash is good. I would like to know if there are any other fuses or fusible links for the radio. Also how to remove the radio tand test circuit to see if it's getting any juice at all. Thanks in advance Geo

Reply to
geo.nova

You have to determine whether the radio electronics are working, or not.

One of the most common causes of radio failures, (in the old days), was low signal/ antenna or lead failure.

To test this we simply used a stock replacement antenna and plugged it into the radio antenna socket. If this solved the problem, then we knew we had to replace the OEM antenna with a suitable replacement.

If the cassette, or CD section is working but the radio doesnt work, this is an indication that at least the amplifier section is working properly.

Occasionally, you would also find a radio that was basically okay but the speakers were dead. This is not so likely when you have multiple speakers.

If the antenna is not the problem, and you have operating voltage to the radio unit, then the chances are that something inside the unit is fongued. Repairing the internals of modern radios are best left to professionals, or are sometimes more cheaply solved by mounting a new aftermarket unit.

Reply to
HLS

You'll need a wiring diagram that shows you what wires do what at the back of the radio. Then you can figure out which one is power & ground. If you have power there, get a new radio. They're not worth fixing anymore, if its even possible to fix them.

Reply to
Bob M.

Does it light up? Does the clock operate? Does it do anything when you cycle the power?

Reply to
Steve W.

Your radio may have a fuse in the radio body as well as the fuse under the dash. Best way to trouble shoot your problem would be to remove the radio and check for a fuse in the radio. If no fuse in the radio check for power and ground in the harness that plugs into the back of the radio. If you just bought the car with the radio inop you may find that the previous owner had an aftermaeket stereo install and cut the original connector off of the wiring harness. Then, when he sold the car, he just bolted in the factory radio and never hooked it back up. That happens more often than you might think. But basicaly the radio needs to come out to check any further.

Reply to
Mike

Very easy to trouble shoot, you have 2 fuses that supply battery voltage to the radio. One is with the key off (memory/Clock) the other key on Batt supply, and then you have ground. if you pull out the radio which is very easy to do on this vehicle by just popping off the bezel and removing the screws. Check for these 3 checks, if all is good and still no radio replace it. And if needed I have 3 of them here at the house $50, you pay shipping. am/fm/cassette and equalizer built it

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

No fuse in the radio. It is original and appears not to have been touched. There are two plugs with several wires each. Why so many and how do I find out which is power? Thanks

Reply to
geo.nova

Don't see any fuse in back of radio. The only fuse I know of is in the main fuse panel on the drivers front lower left side. I also just found out that the cruise control is not working. Is it possible this could be a relay? Thanks.

Reply to
geo.nova

No fuse in the radio. It is original and appears not to have been touched. There are two plugs with several wires each. Why so many and how do I find out which is power? Thanks

You need a wiring diagram to tell you which wires have power but you can still check for power without a diagram. You will have two wires that will have power, one will be hot all the time, the other will be hot only with the key on. Just use a test light and back probe the connectors. The other wires are for the speakers and illumination of the radio.

Reply to
Mike

No fuse in the radio. It is original and appears not to have been touched. There are two plugs with several wires each. Why so many and how do I find out which is power? Thanks

All you need to do is check for 12 volts at the 2 red wires, I believe they would be in the black connector. If 12 volts is there with key on and you have a good ground. The radio is no good, The other wires in the gray connector are for speakers.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to