random fact: electric power steering fluid

at work this week:

The body shop guy came over to the repair side of the shop to ask us to fill the power steering on a 2014 Grand Cherokee, and I learned...........

Some newer Jeep models have electric power steering pumps that require Mopar "electric power steering fluid". The local NAPA does not have it yet. Amazon does, but they don't ship fluids to Hawaii. Gotta get it from the dealer.

This jogged my memory, as I attend regular training seminars, and one warned us to be on the lookout for new fluid specs on electric components, like PS and AC. IIRC the newer fluids have less danger of electrical conductivity that would potentially confuse computer controls.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Interesting! I rent about 2 cars per month and it seems that most of them have electric steering. Will have to start reading the manuals.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Miss the good ol' hydraulic power steering days. More road feel.

Today's cars drive more like video games. smh!

Reply to
thekmanrocks