Ranger fuel filler hose cracked!

The big hose from the filler neck down to the tank cracked near where its attached to the filler neck. This is on an 86 Ford Ranger. The part is $200 at the dealer, and all the hoses are gone from the Rangers in the wrecking yards. The dealer denies that there's a problem with these hoses, but all the hoses gone from the wrecks says otherwise. Does anyone know about this?

Henry

Reply to
editor

I haven't had any problems with the filler hose on my 93 but the gas tank has a crack in it. It's OK if I keep it a little less than half full. When it cools off here in AZ I'll try and fix it. Any advice on patching a plastic gas tank? I've seen patch kits for them but don't know how well they work. Looks like a real PITA to remove the tank.

ZZ

Reply to
Z.Z.

That's a good one. What you are inferring that if the part is hard to come by in whatever god-forsake'n-junkyard you go to, does not have the part you are looking for, then this somehow implies that there has been a major recall by a manufacturer. I find this ludicrous at best. Anyway, I'm write a book on "Stupid Inferences made by People on the Internet" (I know, I need a better acronym) and I would like to include yours, do I have your permission to quote you? -PapaRick

snipped-for-privacy@highwayrobbery.net wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

\ZZ, my brother's plastic gas tank sprung a leak at one of the heat shield mounting brackets. The brackets were pressed into the tank and only a rubber gasket held it in place by pressure fit. It was a poor poor design. I tried the stuff that's like putty and you squish it on there and it hardens. It didn't work at all. Neither did regular epoxy and a piece of fiberglass. After trying to fix this twice, I tried a real repair kit.

I recommend going to NAPA and buying their fuel tank repair kit. It's a piece of mesh fabric (kinda like the webbing they use in lawn chairs definitely not fiberglass) and a package of epoxy. You break the seal between the two pouches and mix it while it's still in the pouch then spread it over the hole, put down the fabric and spread more of it over the fabric. I had to do this twice because the first time, I took too long to mix the two parts together and the epoxy hardened while it was still in the pouch. Second time worked fine. I'd take 1 minute to mix the agents together then work as fast as you can spreading the compound. It's rather fluid at first and immediately starts hardening so squeeze out some on the tank, spread it (hastily) then put down the mesh and squeeze more on the fabric. Use the supplied brush to smooth it all out and get everything well coated. I also roughed the surface with a metal file.

Also be careful, as the compound cures, it heats up real quick and it's uncomfortably hot. Kinda like candle wax.

Good luck.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Ah yup, but!!!!!

He is 100% correct!

There is a recall on the 86 Ford Ranger for the gas hoses.

See:

If he looks up the number and takes it in, he can get new hoses and lines for free still as long as the recall hasn't already been performed on his specific vehicle.

Or just tell the lazy fools at the dealer to look the damn thing up. NHTSA Recall # 87V139000

Mike

Rick Colombo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Can't say I see what makes this inference ludicrous. Henry doesn't even mention anything about a recall. I'd have to agree that if a used part is hard to come by then the original didn't last forever. In some cases, this is by design as the mfg wants to sell spare parts.

In the case of a hose that I've personally never seen fail (I tend to drive older cars, currently have 2 or 1970 vintage), I'd also conclude that there was a problem if every other make/model in the junk yard still had this component but the Ford Ranger parts had all been salvaged. Feel free to quote me also.

Reply to
bobby

Thanks for the pointer. I'll give it a try...

ZZ

Reply to
Z.Z.

It 'is' under recall ZZ.

See my other post.

Mike

"Z.Z." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

So the book signing will have to be put off.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

What's under recall? The gas tank on my '93?

I wasn't posting abouot the filler hose...it's fine, but the tanks is cracked...

Reply to
Z.Z.