ratchet handle shape

Offshoot from another thread on ratchets... My old ratchet wore out and I went looking for a new one. The old one had a straight uniform diameter knurled handle on it. Almost all the new ones I found had a sort of small diameter tear drop shaped handle. The diameter was too small to be comfortable and the handle grip length was too short to get your whole hand on and the entirety of the handle itself was about an inch shorter then what I would consider the proper size. I finally found one like my old one but can't help wondering who would want to use the other ones that apparently are popular - they seem very ill suited to the task since they are too short and don't fit a man's hand (and I presume the main market remains men)

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I know the ones you mean. They must be popular in China and people over there must have figured that we would like them, too. I presume that's where they come from.

Reply to
Jack

Those new ones, in my opinion, are made like that so your hand will slip off and you will bust your knuckles on whatever.Especially if your hand(s) are grimey. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Ratchets are not meant for breaking nuts and bolts loose.

That's what breaker bars are for.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I just now saw a Sears Craftsman ad on tv about pivoting elbow wrenches.Are they any good? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The concept is good, being Sears, they're probably crap but at the prices they charge I'll probably snag a set. Good enough for the occasional need just like their stubby combination wrenches.

Reply to
aarcuda69062