Re: 1.8T WP & timing belt replacement - follow-up

Turns out it's NOT free. Metro VW in Irving TX is denying warranty on this because it was a leased vehicle, We leased it as a new car, then bought the car at lease end. Technically, we are the 2nd owner, with the leasing company being first owner. Of course, that's just paper. The reality is it's been our car from Day 1. VW uses that to get out of doing the right thing. The regional VW rep backed them up. He said sometimes they honor the warranty in these cases, at their discretion, but this wasn't going to be one of them. He also said if we had leased the car directly through a dealership (we used D&M) then they would have covered it. What's ironic is that we put a deposit down to get on a waiting list for a NB Turbo. After SIX MONTHS with no car my wife said "To hell with this". Called D&M Leasing and had the car the very next day, apparently sourced from Metro! We were seriously considering trading the NB in on a Passat TDI or possibly a Toureg. We will never consider a VW product again. In fact, we are considering legal action, probably a class action suit. We would be interested in hearing from anyone who has run into this (warranty denial to leasees) on VW or any other make.

|> Rex in Fort Worth | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Boy, that really sucks! Have you called VWoA or see if the rep will split(50/50%) the cost with you? Or maybe VW pays for the parts and you the labor?

Good luck

Reply to
Woodchuck

|Boy, that really sucks! Have you called VWoA or see if the rep will |split(50/50%) the cost with you? Or maybe VW pays for the parts and you the |labor?

I think my wife is on a mission. After the regional VW Customer (NO-)service rep turned us down, she resolved to get their attention, She faxed an angry business letter to VWoA president and copied the local people. She has a hit list she's working through: The leasing company, BBB, state attorney general, local news consumer reporter, state representative (There oughta be a law!), small claims court, and class action lawsuit. Has she missed anything?

Parts were only about $100.

|> Rex in Fort Worth | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

My wife had fired of a letter to the CEO of VOA demanding they correct this matter. Today his secretary called and said they would update our warranty info and notify Metro to honor the claim. All's well that ends well.

|> Rex in Fort Worth | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B