Re: 1992 Chevy S-10

Excuse my lack of automobile knowledge. This is a rear wheel drive

> truck. The "thing" in the middle of the back axle, where the turning > thing from the engine meets the back axle, is leaking "fluid". I am > sure an auto-conniseur knows what I mean at this point. > > What kind of fluid goes in that "thing". What might be the cause of > this problem? (Leaking gasket?). Should I just keeps the fluid topped > off, or do I need to take the truck in... > > Thanks for your thoughts....

The "thing" is called a differential, or sometimes, the "rear-end".

If it is leaking where the drive shaft from the engine goes into it, that would indicate the seal is failing.

Many vehicles use 80 or 90 weight gear lube. If you still have the owners manual, it should list the preferred fluid to put in it. Look in the book to see what you need, or call your local Chevy dealer and ask the parts or service guy what you should put in it (he can look it up if you don't have the manual anymore).

If your leak is slight (the casing is wet but not dripping) you can top it off and just keep an eye on it. If its pee-ing grease all over the road, you need to get it fixed before it runs dry and the gears seize up in it.

Reply to
E. Meyer

john snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jwill) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Typically referred to as the 'stump' or technically, the 'differential', it contains the ring and pinion gear, along with the spider gears and cage. If it is leaking a LOT of fluid, yes, by all means take it in and have it fixed. If it's just a drop or two a day, this is actually quite normal. Either the gasket for the rear cover is leaking, or, most likely, the front seal on the pinion is leaking. Typically, 90 weight gear oil is used, but on some newer vehicles, they have went to an 80 weight oil. Check your manual for 'differential' fluid recommendations. Note: if you have to have the seal on the pinion replaced, be prepared to pay for a complete teardown of the axle, as this is required to even get to the seal. I would not recommend a novice setting up a rear end, as it requires some skill, patience and knowledge to do properly.

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks for the helpful posts. I have determined that it is the "gasket for the rear cover" that is leaking. I would like to do this job myself, and I can buy the gasket locally for about $3. I still have a couple of concerns:

1) On a 1992 s-10, when I remove the back cover to replace the gasket, will the internal gears just fall out, or is the assembly secure? 2) Do I need a torque to get the tension on the back-cover bolts correct, or can I approximate? 3) As someone who is mechanically inclined, but not a mechanic, do you think I can handle this job (it seems pretty simple). Thanks!
Reply to
jwill

3 STEPS, STARTING W/BOTTOMMOST, CENTERMOST BOLT, AND WORKING AROUND ON ALTERNATE SIDES AS YOU APPROACH THE UPPERMOST, CENTERMOST.

CERTAINLY THINK YOU CAN--I'VE BEEN UNDER CARS ABOUT AS MUCH AS IN THEM FOR

50+ YEARS--I'D LET YOU FIX MINE, AS I WATCHED--ESP. AS I CANNOT DO MUCH WRENCH-SPINNING NOW DUE TO SPINAL DISEASE. HTH & GOOD LUCK. ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE!!!............sdlomi
Reply to
sdlomi

Reply to
Ken Dupree II