Re: 1997 Nissan automatic sometimes won't shift into 3rd or 4th

According to the manual for that transmission (RL4R01A) it has 8 items that I'll list in order:

  1. Oil Level and Quality
  2. Line Pressure
  3. Governor Pressure
  4. Throttle Wire
  5. Over Drive Switch and Wiring
  6. Over Drive Cancel Solenoid
  7. Control Valve
  8. Governor Valve

You need to get the manual for the transmission if you plan on trying to fix it yourself. I recommend the ATSG manual. You can pick it up on line if you can not find it local. I called a couple independant parts stores before I got mine. I hope you don't have the same problem I have. I also bought mine used and it appears that someone decided that the tranmission could do without a couple control valves (1-2 and 3-4). It shifts from 1st to 3rd and fails to go into 4th. The only time it will go into 2nd is if I start out with the shifter in 2nd. Then it will take forever to shift into 2nd.

Good Luck, Leo

> >>Nissan 1997 pickup, bought used, 4-cyl fuel injected engine, > >>4-speed automatic, 56,000 miles (very likely actual mileage > > >> Starting a few days ago, my 4-speed automatic sometimes won't > >>shift into 3rd or 4th but instead stays in 1st and 2nd. When > >>it does this, it shifts into 2nd at almost exactly 4,000 RPM, > >>whether the acceleration is hard or gentle. The shifts have > >>felt normal, both when the problem occurs and when it does not. > >> > >>No OBD II codes, oxygen sensor test shows about 50% duty cycle > >>(built-in test), and I feel that the transmission itself is > >>OK but that there's something wrong with a sensor or electrical > >>cable, especially the latter since apparently the engine was > >>once removed and the cables weren't reinstalled quite right > >>(transmission cables run on wrong side of filler pipe, cable > >>hangers left dangling). > >> > >>What component, outside of the transmission, can make it > >>stop shifting into 3rd and 4th? > > > Speed sensor. Is the speedometer working? > > Speedometer is working, and it's an electric one, as opposed to the > mechanical type. But the speed sensor, at the end of the transmission > and connected through one of the dangling cables, seems to connect > only to the speedometer and not the computer. I haven't been able to > get a wiring diagram for the transmission.
Reply to
Leo Alls