Re: $20,000 over sticker for Chevy Volt is simply supply and demand

john wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z30g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

"So you think the Chevrolet Volt electric car will cost too much? Tell > that to the Chevy dealer who has already decided to charge $20,000 > over the sticker price. > > That's right. Months before the first Volt lands on a showroom floor, > there's enough excitement that the dealer -- who earns a living > calculating what the market will bear -- is charging nearly 50% more > than General Motors' asking price for the revolutionary car. > > If that's any yardstick, the 2011 Volt is drastically underpriced. > Supply and demand, baby. It's the free enterprise system." > > Read more: Mark Phelan: Dealers' extra charge for Volt is simply > supply and demand | freep.com | Detroit Free Press >
> lers-extra-charge-for-Volt-is-simply-supply-and-demand#ixzz0w4xWT0ce

What's amazing is the dealer admited to it. Nothing else is remarkable or surprising IMHO.

My question is what any of this has to do with toyota in the least?

Reply to
chuckcar

If I want an electric car, I will convert my 1948 Willys Jeep.Actually, those old World War Two Jeeps (Willys and Ford Jeeps) were rated by the Pentagon as 1/4 ton trucks.

On the web, Brian's Military Jeeps cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

So a car with a trunk with no lid then.

Reply to
chuckcar

My 1948 Jeep has a tailgate.I could slide the batteries in there. I don't want an electric vehicle though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In message , Michelle Steiner writes

If the engine hasn't run for six months how do you know it hasn't seized on you?

Reply to
Clive

In message , Michelle Steiner writes

I can't imagine that it will sell here in Europe, but stranger things have happened.

Reply to
Clive

Engines have to be run every once in a while, or else they will crap out on you. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

How will those electric batteries hold up in the Winter time when the temps get wayyyy down below zero? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Question has already been asked.. What difference does it make? The Obama administration is going to buy a bunch of these POS things no matter what you think, or do, or want.

Give up. Lie down. Die comfortably.

Reply to
hls

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Nah, neither do I. Unless it's a Tesla with a 500 mile range.

Reply to
chuckcar

my gas car doesn't have a 500 mile range; however, my car doesn't take 4 hours to fill up.

I'd be happy with a 300 mile range EV If I had the ability to swap batteries the way I swap propane tanks.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Hey, it has to be better than the K-cars that the GSA still has in the motorpool down here. Those things just won't quit running no matter how hard everyone wants them to.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

500lb? That's only a couple of typical USAians of cargo now. Or maybe just one!
AMuzi

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

A lot of expensive replacements and repairs. To say nothing of the effect of salt and sand. assuming we ever get winters again south of 50 N. Last winter we had a winter that I'd call comparable to what Washington DC usually gets - at 45 1/2 N.

Reply to
chuckcar

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

I don't know if you get Top Gear, but if you do, did you ever see the episode with the car with the replaceable frame and power plant? It was a protoype demonstrated by James May. Horrendous controls, but it's a way of doing what you mention above. The body lifted completely off leaving a 3" thick at most support with the wheels on it. It was a fuel cell car. I still prefer the idea of a hydrogen internal combusion engine better, but such things as removing the ammonia produced may be a problem I suppose.

Reply to
chuckcar

Peter Granzeau wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's all just marketing. The VW Lupo can get 75 MPG on a journey with no problem.

Reply to
chuckcar

Of course, electric cars in America aren't a new thingy.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In message , chuckcar writes

Where does the ammonia come from?

Reply to
Clive

I have an old 1950's Mechanix Illustrated magazine here, there is an article in the magazine about a 1957 Chevrolet pickup truck that a guy in the U.S.Army converted to run on Ammonia gas.At first, he experimented with a lawn mower, getting that to run on Ammonia gas.

The idea was that the Army could park an 18 wheeler truck (with a small nuclear power plant mounted on the truck) by rivers, or other water areas and produce Ammonia gas for their trucks and other vehicles. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Well, ammonia will burn, but the combustion by-products are nasty. You make varying oxides of nitrogen, one of which converts to nitric acid when it mixes with water. (Actually, one might argue that at least one or more by-products eventually end up as nitric acid).

A nuclear power plant could produce a lot of electricity, which must at present be used or lost, but it could also produce a lot of hydrogen which can, although with some hazards, be stored. That hydrogen could conceivable be used in cars, or transported to distant electric plants where it could be burned as fuel.

Norway has headed in this direction to some extent. They plan to have the first "hydrogen highway" in the world, where you could fuel your vehicle with hydrogen.

Most of their electricity is hydroelectric, but they have plenty of gas too.

If Obama wants to incentivate business and hire people, wonder why he doesnt commission a group to locate the strategic areas in the USA where hydroelectric projects would be suitable and efficient to servics the power grids, and then BUILD them. We need the water, and we need the "juice".

But I am afraid his words are full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Reply to
hls