Re: 98 Cherokee - Sporadic high temp readings

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that has been sporadically reading high

>engine temperatures. It normally runs at just over the mid point on >the temp gauge, around 210. With no pattern at all it will suddenly >jump into the beginning part of the red zone and the Check Guages >light will go on and beeps. It will then suddenly jump to the top of >the red zone. Eventually it will go back to the beginning of red zone >and back to normal again (with sudden movements of the needle, not >over time like there are only three spots it stays in). This usually >happens about 5 minutes after I have started the car. It will go away >and do it again later on during the same trip. I have been ignoring >it because of one assumption I have made - This reading can not be >correct, because I can see the needle jump from 210 to the red zone in >less than one second. It goes back to normal just as fast. I have >driven it in red zone for ten minutes at a time before it jumps back >to normal. > >Any suggestions? > > snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com take out the spam filter
Reply to
JimV

I don't see how it can be a sticky thermostat. Even if the thermo stuck, there would be some kind of delay to go from 210 to 260. It goes to 260 in an instant. When it decides to go back down to 210 it is also a very rapid movement of the needle, less than one second.

Reply to
Craig B.