Re: AAMCO auto repair rip off

A friend was just ripped off in a manner that was eerily similar to >some thing

>that happened to me years ago. I wish I had warned her. I hope this >post can >save you from the same thing happening to you. > >THE AAMCO TRANSMISSION SCAM > >AAMCO transmission repair shops are famous for dishonest activies. >They run two basic scams.

Yup, I've heard that story many times. A friend of mine has a 1972 TransAm. Sometime in the 80's he needed the transmission rebuilt. He had it done at AAMCO and paid their high price. It's got a lifetime guarantee. He doesn't drive the car anymore, he's just keeping it "forever" but at least once a year he drives it to AAMCO for their required yearly inspection. If it every does go out again they will be rebuilding it for free.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Not at all like my experience with an AAMCO shop in Houston, Texas, USA. One of my previous cars was a Mustang 5.0 auto. They rebuilt the trans and it was still working great 5 years later when I sold the car. Maybe me having some knowledge of auto mechanics helped.

Reply to
« Paul »

******* Maybe me having some knowledge of auto mechanics helped.****** You can bet on this. Scam shops prey on women and kids, and pull in their horns when somebody comes around that knows the ropes.
Reply to
<HLS

So they actually *can* do a good job but choose to rip off the unknowledgeable? That's even worse in my book than just being incompetent.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Take the OP's story about how he just wanted them to replace a cable. I had an experience where I was calling around to have something specific done. I had already had done the diagnosis. I knew what was bad. I just didn't want to do it myself. So I just wanted some quotes for that job. One or two places the person answering the phone gave me shit about how I knew what was wrong and this and that... I knew that was trouble.

In another case a place tried scamming my brother. My brother called me and I talked to the guy. Total bullshit. I told him to have the car towed home and I would check it out on the weekend. (he was still living with my parents at the time so he had a car to borrow for a couple days) When he wouldn't have it done, their price started dropping quick and someone there offered to buy the car. I ended up fixing it for him for something like $60 in parts, shop wanted something like $500 replacing stuff that wasn't needed and so on.

Reply to
Brent P

Oh! You are right. Auto repair shops are always ripping off my ex wife.

Reply to
« Paul »

Watch out for that Scott's Transmission, too.... I knew exactly what was wrong - hydraulics crapped out. I ended up with a new slave cylinder (which was to be expected), master cylinder, clutch, and who knows what else. To top it all off, he busted my ignition and got the key stuck in it - and did nothing about it.

It's been about a month and a half now, and harder to shift every day

- too bloody cold out to check the fluid, though (14 w/ -6 chill, brr!). But hey, at least the truck hasn't been stolen yet!

Reply to
Search4Lancer

You hope. Years ago a friend made the mistake of having his van's transmission rebuilt at an AAMCO franchise. It cost considerably more than I believe the current average price was for such work. He paid the bill and about three days later the transmission went out totally. He towed it back to them for repair under the warranty; they kept it several days and then demanded hundreds of dollars more for repairs.

He came one night with an extra set of keys and "accepted" the car. They never tried taking any action because they knew their actions couldn't stand scrutiny in legal venues.

Reply to
clifto