Re: Adding Oil - Can't mix brands??

BS! I've always buy whatever brand name oil is on sale. I change my oil on a regular basis, every 3k miles, with no ill effects. Just make sure you get the proper viscosity oil.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

I rarely buy brand name oil. There's a good motor factor near me that stocks decent 'small name' brand oil that's widely used by the trade for a fraction of the price. Means you can buy semi-synthetic for the price of brand name dino oil.

Europeans are forever baffled by US oil change intervals like 3000 mi too !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Quite right. Don't EVER put pure D2O or T2O into your battery. Especially T2O; it's far too costly.

OTOH, most brands of H2O mix quite well.

Reply to
John Woodgate

Some brands of H2O are rather costly as well. Some are more expensive than beer, or even gasoline!

Reply to
Keith Williams

I was wondering about that. The EB47 was just a B47 with some electronics doodads, mostly used by the Navy, IIRC.

A friend was a crew chief for the RB57 that's now in the USAF museum at Wright Patterson (it's restored to its Vermont Air Guard clothes as it was when he worked on it). He also did some baby sitting for "specials", during the Cuban Missle Crisis, that officially didn't exist. Shhh!

Reply to
Keith Williams

How about HDO? HTO? DTO?

Reply to
Richard Henry

But its good to use distilled water for battery and cooling system.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I read in sci.electronics.design that Richard Henry wrote (in ) about 'Adding Oil - Can't mix brands??', on Tue, 11 Oct 2005:

These hybrids have NO place in a high-fidelity battery.

Reply to
John Woodgate

snipped-for-privacy@example.net

So are Americans. I use synthetic and shoot for anywhere from

8,000-12,000 mi depending on when it's convenient for me. 3,000 mi is nonsense from several decades ago and has no relevance to today's engines or oils.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Somewhere or other I read that distilled is not recommended for the cooling system. Something about it being more corrosive and the regular "drinking water" being recommended instead if your tap water is not useable i.e. hard water.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, but the distilled brand is free. I throw away a couple of gallons of it every day from June to November.

Reply to
Keith Williams

I read in sci.electronics.design that Pete C. wrote (in ) about 'Adding Oil - Can't mix brands??', on Tue, 11 Oct 2005:

Yes, distilled water will totally wreck an aluminium engine, given time, and there may be Al parts in there that you don't know about. If the book says you must use a corrosion-inhibited coolant, IT MEANS IT!

Reply to
John Woodgate

The only problem (and the reason you heard that claim?) might be switching to synthetic oil after driving tens of thousands of miles on regular oil. Gummed-up oil seals might become "too clean" and lose their band-aid effect. I vary synthetic brands since they are all rated as compatible with the same engine materials.

Waters

Reply to
Waters

Distilled water mixed with a proper antifreeze (containing corrosion inhibitors) isn't going to corrode anything any faster than tap water, bottled spring water, mud, Perrier or any other DHMO-based liquid. It will in fact leave behind less residues, like lime from tap water.

Reply to
clifto

Even H20(17) and H2O(18), not to mention the D and T variants on those?

Reply to
Paul Burke

Can OTOH go in a battery?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Why stop at 17 and 18? O can appear as at least O13 to O20, rather fleetingly in some cases. O13 has a half-life of 9 ms.

Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ken Taylor wrote (in ) about 'Adding Oil - Can't mix brands??', on Wed, 12 Oct 2005:

HTO2? Very heavy hydrogen peroxide. Well, the molecules are small enough to fit through the filler hole... (;-)

Reply to
John Woodgate

The idea that distilled water could be "corrosive" is ludicrous. Distilled water allows the corrosion inhibitors in the antifreeze its mixed with to work without interference from random concentrations of dissolved minerals and ions in tap water (which varies from season to season in most areas, not only from region to region). Filtered and deionized water is a good second choice to distilled.

Reply to
Steve

Horse poop. Running ANY type of water without antifreeze or corrision inhibitors will do that, but distilled water is the best choice to start with before you add your antifreeze or corrosion inhibitors if for some reason you can't run antifreeze (racing for example).

Reply to
Steve