Re: Air conditioning repair on my 1998 Chevy Prism... am I paying too much?

Thanks a ton for your help guys. Unfortunately I ended up paying the $1800, as I'd already signed the work order and they'd already started working on my car. I think they did a good job, but with all the information I've been given I'm sure I could've gotten a better price.

I agree about the chain stores thing... they seem to replace everything that they can get away with and charge you for it, even if it doesn't need replacing. Since I'm in Minneapolis, I'm sure that there are some decent independent garages around.

Live and learn I guess. This $1800 is a hard lesson, but I won't forget it.

Reply to
Joe

I suppose before I spout off again on how I paid too much I'd better list the items on the bill so people in the know can take a look at it. Here's my air conditioning repair list...

A/C system Check & Analysis... 39.99 Evac & Recharge Service & Dye... 85.00

134A Refrigerant/freon... 89.97 1/4 ounce a/c dye tracer... 2.99 Shop Supplies/Service... 35.12 A/C Compressor t2636... 559.87 Install A/C Compressor... 110.00 Condensor... 349.99 Install Condensor... 140.00 Receiver Dryer T4598N...149.99 Install Receiver Dryer... 60.00 Serpentine Belt 5060740... 49.99

I didn't list the cost of the oil change and the sales tax, so the numbers won't add up to $1800.

Reply to
Joe

I ran the car/job through ALLDATA (current version)..

Compressor - 559.87

(is this compressor new or rebuilt?)

Install compressor - 0.5 hours

Condensor - 383.67

Install condensor - 1.4 hours

Receiver Drier - 74.99

Install R-D - 0.4 hours

The prices I've listed are what I've found the local dealer charges list for parts.. usually aftermarket is cheaper. According to ALLDATA, those are not dealer part numbers they've listed.

I think what I would do in your situation is to call your local dealer and price out the repairs you've had done.. if the dealer numbers are more in line with what I've posted (most notably the receiver drier price and labor costs to install the parts) then maybe I'd go back to the shop doing the work and ask nicely for them to explain why their costs were so much higher than dealer pricing..

To install compressor, R-D, and condensor they've charged $300.. for an ALLDATA estimated job time of 2.3 hours.. that's a nice labor rate of just over $130/hr. Currently we are charging around $60/hour.

Regards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks again for all your help. I'll call around to the local dealers and see what they would've charged for parts. The compressor was new... they tech told me that he had to get it from a dealer since they didn't have any other sources for the part available (I live in Minneapolis, MN). I wonder what they'll do if I come back and ask why they charged me so much. I guess if I find things are really awry I can take it to the Better Business Bureau. Either way I've learned my lesson about shopping around the hard way.

Joe

Reply to
Joe