Re: Anybody try this before?

I have several times used air conditioning condensers as heat exchangers to heat rooms in a house with hot water heat. I see no reason they would not work for an oil cooler. But the real thing, engineered for the purpose, is not expensive, so why?

What would happen if you were to use the a/c condensor on your > car/truck as a trans cooler? > Pros,cons? > > > Simmons Academy of Free Speech >
tkranz

I have thought of that before and in fact I used one from a Hyundai as a heater core on my old chevy truck. Seems it may be overkill in a trans application. How would it effect operating temp ? Will the trans ever warm in the winter ? Does low trans temp matter ? I suspect there is an ideal temp for a trans. Thats why they have such wimpy coolers from the factory and why the level should be checked when hot. They must be designed to run hot(viscosity taken in to account I suspect). Old turboglides had holes in the bellhousing as the cooler as if they didn't want them to get too cool. I don't have the answer but I would research before slapping it on

Reply to
Akacguy6161

IIRC Ford is using the A/C to cool the intake on a supercharger, so what you're asking should be do-able.

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

strangest tranny trick i had to use was to put motor oil in the tranny to get me home one dark, snowy night (not pulling a trailer), when a tranny coolant line broke. Scout

Reply to
Scout

|> What would happen if you were to use the a/c condensor on your |> car/truck as a trans cooler?

First, the air conditioning stops working.

Reply to
Rex B

This can be done, although the condenser won't flow the volume a good cooler will. A good Hayden 11X16 cooler will do a much better job, and take up less space.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I just thought it would be great for a desert vehicle or for someone who does alot of towing in hot climates.

Simmons Academy of Free Speech

Bill Simmons