Re: camShaft cables? cooling fans

> hello, > X-posted > 2 questions: > mitsubishi colt 1989 > 1. its current mechanic says that the ?camShaft? cables are the original > and are cracked and need to be rpl'd > just wonder whether this diagnosis could account for the car NOT > accelerating, needing to use 2nd gear vs. drive almost all the time > (even down hill) (it's an automatic) vibrating in reverse and 2nd gear? > or where i can find out more about the camShaft (if in fact this car > even has it:)

He might be referring to the timing belt (which drives the camshaft). If it is original it is overdue for replacement.

2. same car: i've learned (or heard) that fans are supposed to start > turning to help cool the engine... according to an AAA > jumpStarter/tower... > would anyone know whether they should start turning when the car is > idling or the gauge is warm (not hot) > symptom here is that the car heats up in minutes (and did so in Winter) > but did not used to heat up for ages (iow it used to take ~ 15' to warm > up) > before driving it onto the highWay is there a test for the fans? > thank you very much in advance > and to those of you who were kind enough to answer my post a while back > on the dead battery thank you (the thread had expired) > and if anyone cares, the battery *was* a lemon... > THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Depends on the vehicle. Some fans come on anytime the air conditioner is on or the coolant is warm. On other vehicles the fan will not come on until A/C pressure is high or engine coolant is almost hot enough to overheat.

-- > toAnswerSend2:userName:tjtmd > domain:attglobal.net > separate these with the at sign
Reply to
Mike Walsh

Cambelts ?

No - not unless the cam timing is wrong. Did the symptoms start suddenly?

No

If it doesn't overheat it's ok.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

You find somebody to love in this world you'd better hang on tooth and nail - the wolf is always at the door. (Don Henley - In A New York Minute)

Reply to
Dave Baker

original it is overdue for replacement.

the coolant is warm. On other vehicles the fan will not come on until A/C pressure is high or engine coolant is almost hot enough to overheat.

thank you for replying

-- to reply: userName: tjtmd domain: attglobal.net and separate the 2 words with the at sign:)

Reply to
tanya