Re: car's trajectory

Car's trajectory,,, all depends on if the driver is sober or tipsy.Dont be tipsy and drive! I am having me a ''cold one'' this morning.That means I wont get behind the wheel today! Around here, you better buckle up too, or they will pull your drivers license for a while and it is an automatic $25.00 fine.Unless the fine has gone up lately.It probally has.But, you can drive an old crapped out vehicle, even if it smokes (y'all should have see that old car I saw yesterday.It was fogging up the whole neighborhood and the street I live on) and a headlight out, lots of thingys. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have seen at least two or three old cars before, many years ago.I don't know how to describe them though.They was like perhaps they got hit pretty bad sideways in an accident.The front end (or the back end) was at least a couple of inches sideways from the other end.The drivers of those old cars were driving straight down the roads, but the bodies of those old cars were sitting kind of side saddle/at an angle on the frames/running gear of those old cars.They looked kind of funny. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Some forklifts have one wheel/rear wheel steering.There was one of them at the old auto/truck/lawn mower/golf cart batteries factory where I used to work. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I used to own a 1967 International walk in delivery van.The steering stabilizer (it looks sort of like a shock absorber and was mounted horozontally) was worn out.Hit a big enough bump or pothole and the steering wheel and the whole front end of the van would start shakeing like crazy. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The answer to your question is NO; adjusting toe-in or toe-out will change it considerably. On the other hand, the adjustment should be carried out so that it does. Here's the math.

What you cannot do is make three axles steer around a common centre. To see why make the wheels much wider, as say with a road roller. Interestingly, the front wheels have a greater radius to turn through than the rear wheels.

Reply to
Androcles

Nonsense. When the car is travelling straight the axle centerlines are parallel and therefore do not meet (by definition of parallel).

Reply to
Androcles

It's not TRACKS. It's AXLE centerl Nonsense. When the car is travelling straight the axle centerlines are parallel and therefore do not meet (by definition of parallel). _________________________________________________________

Your email suggests that you are a student of physics. Ask your instructor to explain the concept of the limiting case of an arc's trajectory as its radius approaches infinity.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

to elaborate, the centerline of the rear axle and the centerlines of each front spindle all meet at a common point. As the vehicle travels a path closer to straight ahead, that point becomes increasingly distant from the vehicle itself, and when the vehicle is in actuality traveling perfectly straight ahead, that point is infinitely far away.

nate

Reply to
N8N

to elaborate, the centerline of the rear axle and the centerlines of each front spindle all meet at a common point. As the vehicle travels a path closer to straight ahead, that point becomes increasingly distant from the vehicle itself, and when the vehicle is in actuality traveling perfectly straight ahead, that point is infinitely far away.

nate

=============================================== The centerlines of each front spindle do NOT meet at a common point shared by the rear axle except for one identifiable and particular turning radius, as shown here:

Androcles

In a 100% Ackermann geometry system, they do - at ALL turning radii. I'm not sure what the heck your diagram is supposed to show, but it appears to be a car that changes between cornering correctly and scrubbing the hell out of the tires.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel

When the car is travelling straight the axle centerlines are parallel and therefore do NOT meet (by DEFINITION of parallel).

Your argument fails because infinity is not defined, try dividing by zero on any calculator.

| I'm not sure what the heck your diagram is supposed to show,

Ok, so you are just another unintelligent argumentative f*****ad I should not waste my time on. *plonk*

Reply to
Androcles

I'm merely repeating the *definition* of Ackermann geometry. The fact that you can't handle a piddly little infinity is of little concern to me. Since "going straight" can easily be reworded as "an infinitely large turning radius" I don't see any kind of issue with allowing the distance from the vehicle of the intersections of all the turning radii to go to infinity as well. As soon as you deviate, even slightly, from straight ahead, you can find the intersection point clearly defined - even if it is miles away (this is assuming, of course, an idealized vehicle with no slop anywhere in the steering linkage.)

If you think about it, the Ackermann principle is very simple... assuming zero slip angles at all tires (which is the assumption that the whole principle is based on, and also why in some applications engineers choose to ignore or modify it) BY DEFINITION the centerlines of the spindles/axles have to meet at a common point for any non-zero turning radius, as the vehicle is a single mass and therefore when turning has to describe an arc with a single center. The zero slip angle assumption defines the direction of travel of each wheel as being at an angle of 90 degrees from a line drawn from the center of that arc. Therefore indeed lines drawn perpendicular to the direction of travel of each wheel, or in other words, the centerlines of the spindles or axles, MUST meet at a common point.

yeah, I guess all those years messing with cars and taking engineering classes makes me supremely unqualified to talk about something as basic as Ackermann steering.

Why don't you DAGS for the definition of Ackermann steering and then come back and apologize for your rudeness?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

So you have two steering wheels, one for each front wheel?

In every car i have ever seen, turning the steering wheel turns *both front wheels....

Reply to
Guy Macon

Hi guy, In the car, yes only one steering wheel, but according to the angles of the wheels, it is like having 2 steering wheels, one for each wheels angle. The combination of steering linkage and front end parts (ball joints, arms etc..) create two different angles while it turns the wheels.

Reply to
Spaceman

And also the limiting case as the distance to the point of crossing approaches infinity. Infinity is not a quantity, but the limit of a function as a parameter approaches infinity can be a quantity. For example, Lim(1/n) as n approaches infinity is zero. Lim (1/n +1) as n appoaches infinity is 1. One and zero are both quantities.

Same applies in trigonometry as the length of the leg of a triangle approaches infinity, which is basically what Nate is saying.

Infinity IS quite clearly defined, for anyone who's had a math class beyond 8th grade algebra. The fact that it isn't a quantity doesn't make it any less defined, and equations are written in terms of limits approaching infinity all the time.

Oh, get over yourself.

Reply to
Steve

Could you redo the .gif so that it shows how both wheels turn? As it is now, it shows one front wheel turning while the other does not turn. You need to show both turning -- possibly at different rates/angles, but still both turning at the same time.

BTW, what app are you usintg to g=create the .gif files? I really like the look.

Reply to
Guy Macon

That was made by Androcles, If he gets bored enough he might make another one if he sees the request. :)

Reply to
Spaceman