Re: Clutch hydraulic question

"Tim Watkins" wrote

Is there any particular reason why they decided to use brake fluid in the > system? I've got a leaking slave cylinder (96 Pontiac Grand AM). It's > not worth the money or effort to fix the issue. It's a very slow leak, > but just fast enough (in summer) to be irritating. I was thinking I could > flush the whole system out and put power steering fluid in the system with > the stop leak stuff. Might be just enough to stop the leak for a year or > two.

Ever seen what happens when some lube flunky mistakenly puts ps fluid in a brake master cylinder? Same thing will happen in your scenario.

What do ya think?

Either fix the thing right, or just park the car.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Besides the aforementioned issues of reducing the risk of mixing fluids in the car, there's the cost-driven need to keep the number of different fluids low, plus there are technical reasons as well. Brake fluid has a boiling temperature that is extremely high, espeically critical for disk brake systems, and it maintains it's viscosity at very low temperatures. Regular hydraulic oil will thicken up a lot at below freezing temps.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan