Re: Cool new tool

I dont even use a funnel,,,, I slop it in there whichever way it will go.At least the belts get lubed up real good. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If y'all have never tried it, however intuitively contrary it seems, when pouring oil from a quart bottle, he has MUCH better control against spill if he pours with the bottle-opening at the top rather than at the bottom. I was taught that a # of years ago by an 80-year old gentleman who never claimed to be a mechanic--still had my doubts until I tried it. Never poured the "conventional" way since! HTH, sdomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

You mean you pour the oil from the bottle like the little illustraion on the side of the bottle shows? Or like the hand grip on the current Mobil 1 bottles try to encourage you to hold the bottle? I think if you would actually look at the bottles, you wouldn't need an 80- year old guy to tell you how to hold the bottles to pour the oil properly.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

OOOOHHHH, that hurt, Ed:) You're exactly correct, though. Could I manage to save a bit face if I claim (truthfully) that this revelation ocurred a number of years ago--prolly soon after plastic bottles had hit the market--and after having developed good dexterity using the quart cans over decades of oil-changing, growing up in a service/station-garage. What? a car-guy reading instructions?...and on something so simple as pouring in a quart of oil? Does help my feelings a tad, tho', when I see so many people still doing it in reverse! s

Reply to
sdlomi2

funnel,,,, I slop it in there whichever way it will

Huh??? At the top and bottom of what??

 I was taught that a # of years ago by an 80-year old gentleman who
Reply to
John S.

Plastic bottles of food stuffs ought to have screw on caps on both ends, that would things so much better.

Many years ago, an old ''trick'' at some old gas stations was to prop an empty can of motor oil on/near the top of another empty can of motor oil (sort of like some people will sit a bottle of ketchup on top of another bottle of ketchup and let the top bottle of ketchup do it's thing) and eventually, they would get a free can of motor oil to sell to the customers. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Heck, back when oil came in round cans, old stations had an outside rack designed for this purpose. From the side profile they had an "A" shape. The round cans of motor oil were displayed along the front sloped side. There was a lockable roll top desk type cover you pulled down when you closed up. To open a new can of oil you used the type of spout that pierced the can. After you emptied the can, there was a drawer in the side that you pulled out to store the spout and "empty" can. Any residue in the can would drip out of the can/spout into the storage compartment. And as you say, eventually you would get an "free" quart of oil of some type.

Reply to
C. E. White

Some of those gas stations would buy motor oil and the motor oil would be displayed in glass bottles with the metal spout(s) on the glass bottles.I own a lot of old junk (but it's not all junk) I wish I own one of those old glass oil bottles with the screw on metal spout.

Some of those old gas station/service station thingys are very collectible. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

A little off topic, but I know of one larger transmission repair company that would drain the trannies when they started to tear them down, all fluid going into a common vat. The mixture of fluids was then pumped through a series of filters, after which it was deemed to be "clean". It was used to fill the trannies after they were rebuilt and installed.

Nice huh?

That shop is now gone, since the owner and operator died.

Reply to
HLS

You sued them though, right?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

With so many types in there, they prolly figured the mixture had the best of "all the worlds". s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Never did business with them...Do you think I would deal with people like this;>)

Reply to
HLS

Maybe.. I suspect that the tranny would last longer than the warranty period, and then you were on your own.

Reply to
HLS

Don't know why else you'd comment on them.

Reply to
aarcuda69062