Re: Detroit stuff IS crap

You would be supprised which car companies used to build Trucks.Years ago,I used to see someone driving an Oldsmobile pickup truck around town.

Of course,in World War Two,things were different.Cadillac built some Tanks for our U.S.Military.

Detroit stuff isn't crap.Who do you think helped Japan rebuild auto/truck factories in Japan after World War Two? U.S.A.did. Give me Detroit stuff anyday! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You can have all of it you want, Cuhulin...

The USA DID spend billions in rebuilding the economies in Germany and Japan. And what we did was subsidize the steel industry in Japan so that we cannot compete today either in cost or quality. The Japanese were clever to compete in motorcycles, automobiles, electronics, optics, etc. They lost the war and won the peace.

Germany benefited as well.

Italy?? Well, I leave this to open comment.

Reply to
<HLS

A hack job. Studebaker made pickups, but never Oldmobile. REO made pickups (REO stands for Ransom E. Olds, after all) but never Oldsmobile. Separate companies entirely, just the same founder.

Well there IS a reason that a Small Block Chevy v8 is a direct bolt-in replacement for the "Toyota" inline 6 in the Land Cruiser (the REAL one, not the poseur FJ Cruiser). That "Toyota" six was a design purchased from GM, in much the same way the "Rover" v8 was a Buick design that Rover bought. It always amused me to see a Triumph TR-8 or a 90's vintage Range Rover with the hood open and the characteristic Buick valve covers and angled timing-case mounted distributor stickin out. GM had a way of selling off some of their best designs, unfortunately.

Reply to
Steve

Because nobody wanted to buy the others ;)

Reply to
Brent P